What's new

✅ SOLVED Civil War Artifacts (?) - Need Assistance Please

Battlewagon

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 23, 2013
Messages
3
Reaction score
12
Golden Thread
0
Hello all, I can't even tell you how long I've read through this Forum over the years but I've never had anything that I thought was worthy to post. I have recently inherited/been gifted a pile of what I'm told were Civil War artifacts by a friend, so thought I'd put them out to see if anyone knew exactly what they were.

I'm told these were all found in the Beverly Mill area around Haymarket, Virginia in the 70's and 80's. I have no doubt that not all of them are Civil War, but I really don't know where to start. If you need any better pictures, especially with the one with the words on it, let me know.

It's truly an honor to be finally posting something here!

Tim
Louisa, VA
IMG_4051.webp
IMG_4052.webp
IMG_4053.webp
IMG_4055.webp
IMG_4056.webp
IMG_4057.webp
IMG_4058.webp
 
Shrapnel is from a Federal Hotchkiss shell, the base cup marked "Hotchkiss Patent May 14 1861". It is a 3 piece shell, the fused nose, which is the other piece you have, a lead band (sabot), and the base cup. Nice relics.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you! Fredneck - are ALL of the shrapnel pieces shown from the same (or same type) of shell?
 
Upvote 0
Second Minie from the left is a 54 caliber Sharps I believe. The far right looks like a .58 caliber Gardner and the others look like variations of the .54 caliber Gardners, all Union.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you all for your help - I'll mark this as SOLVED for now, but really appreciate the help. Of course, if anyone has any other ideas they are always welcome.
 
Upvote 0
Gardners are Confederate and there are none in the spread, correct on the Sharps carbine though Fyter, the rest are Union variants of the 58cal minie.
 
Upvote 0
Gardners are Confederate and there are none in the spread, correct on the Sharps carbine though Fyter, the rest are Union variants of the 58cal minie.
You are absolutely correct. And, I might add that the Sharps is more than likely a .52 caliber. I will go sit in the corner with my dunce cap on now!
 
Upvote 0
Picture 3 is part of a exploded artillery shell
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom