What's new

30 years ago and a 1784 1/2 real

JerseyLowTide

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2021
Messages
26
Reaction score
159
Golden Thread
0
Location
East TN / South NJ
Detector(s) used
AT Pro / Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started hunting this site when I was 16 and purchased a brand new Whites Spectrum XLT in 1996 and tried to make it out every low tide I could till I got a girlfriend and the metal detecting slowed down and I left NJ in 2000 but started coming back in 2015 with an AT Pro and the finds keep coming. This creek was the site of Reeves Brothers Saw Millers and Ship Builders in South Jersey from the 1830's to the 1850's and it's littered with iron spikes but I've managed to remove about 4 buckets worth of iron and uncovered a few remaining coins, buttons and bronze spikes or broken spikes pieces. So far this week I've gotten 4 buttons, 1 braided Large Cent, 3 pieces of broken bronze spike, an old iron lock with brass keyhole, picket knife lots of lead and more. More pictures to come and I made a video but YouTube is being stubborn. Thanks for looking and HH
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20260918-164518.webp
    Screenshot_20260918-164518.webp
    190.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20260918-164601.webp
    Screenshot_20260918-164601.webp
    123.5 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 18
The assayers at the Mexico City mint in 1783 who used the initials FM were Francisco Arance y Cobos and Mariano Rodríguez y Puerta.
The use of the FM initial combination at the Mexico City mint began in 1783, running concurrently with the FF initials during a transitional period from 1783 to 1788.
My old reference book notes your FM mark was worth twice the FF mark. Congrats !!
Don in SoCal.
 
Started hunting this site when I was 16 and purchased a brand new Whites Spectrum XLT in 1996 and tried to make it out every low tide I could till I got a girlfriend and the metal detecting slowed down and I left NJ in 2000 but started coming back in 2015 with an AT Pro and the finds keep coming. This creek was the site of Reeves Brothers Saw Millers and Ship Builders in South Jersey from the 1830's to the 1850's and it's littered with iron spikes but I've managed to remove about 4 buckets worth of iron and uncovered a few remaining coins, buttons and bronze spikes or broken spikes pieces. So far this week I've gotten 4 buttons, 1 braided Large Cent, 3 pieces of broken bronze spike, an old iron lock with brass keyhole, picket knife lots of lead and more. More pictures to come and I made a video but YouTube is being stubborn. Thanks for looking and HH
Your hard work and perseverance has certainly paid big dividends. Beautiful coin. Congratulations!
 
Started hunting this site when I was 16 and purchased a brand new Whites Spectrum XLT in 1996 and tried to make it out every low tide I could till I got a girlfriend and the metal detecting slowed down and I left NJ in 2000 but started coming back in 2015 with an AT Pro and the finds keep coming. This creek was the site of Reeves Brothers Saw Millers and Ship Builders in South Jersey from the 1830's to the 1850's and it's littered with iron spikes but I've managed to remove about 4 buckets worth of iron and uncovered a few remaining coins, buttons and bronze spikes or broken spikes pieces. So far this week I've gotten 4 buttons, 1 braided Large Cent, 3 pieces of broken bronze spike, an old iron lock with brass keyhole, picket knife lots of lead and more. More pictures to come and I made a video but YouTube is being stubborn. Thanks for looking and HH
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!
 
The assayers at the Mexico City mint in 1783 who used the initials FM were Francisco Arance y Cobos and Mariano Rodríguez y Puerta.
The use of the FM initial combination at the Mexico City mint began in 1783, running concurrently with the FF initials during a transitional period from 1783 to 1788.
My old reference book notes your FM mark was worth twice the FF mark. Congrats !!
Don in SoCal.
Thanks for looking it up for me :) you know that reminds me I found a pair of 2R's in the same place in the late 90's and I was told that they were also minted in Mexico. One is 1801FT and the other is 178? 1 kinda worn I always thought it was a 2, looks like FF now I gotta look them up and the 1R unfortunately the edge it worn off
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260925_194655908.MP.webp
    PXL_20260925_194655908.MP.webp
    879.8 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20260925_194722737.MP.webp
    PXL_20260925_194722737.MP.webp
    716.8 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom