What's new

300$ in halves

stu123

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Got 300$ in halves from the bank. all hand rolled. here are the results
1966
1968 d X 2
1982 s

1999p with real weak date & Y & TRUST - is that of any value?
That's it for 600 coins.
Looking at 600 coins I noticed none past 2001. Are halves past 2001 hard to find?
One whole roll was 1976. my fascination with that year is done for. there were also 3 real nice 1977's in a row.
the 1982 was the first silver clad I ever saw. It's superior finish just jumped out at me. Otherwise the s mint mark would have gone unnoticed.
Now, won't it be fun dumping $296.50 at a bank! This new hobby sure challenges my normal shyness.
Thanks
 
Upvote 0
stu123 said:
Got 300$ in halves from the bank. all hand rolled. here are the results
1966
1968 d X 2
1982 s

1999p with real weak date & Y & TRUST - is that of any value?
That's it for 600 coins.
Looking at 600 coins I noticed none past 2001. Are halves past 2001 hard to find?
One whole roll was 1976. my fascination with that year is done for. there were also 3 real nice 1977's in a row.
the 1982 was the first silver clad I ever saw. It's superior finish just jumped out at me. Otherwise the s mint mark would have gone unnoticed.
Now, won't it be fun dumping $296.50 at a bank! This new hobby sure challenges my normal shyness.
Thanks

Pardon me but how can a Silver be a clad it is either %40 or %90 Silver or it is a CLAD, no? I've never seen one myself, can't even conceptualize what one would look like- in fact thinking about it is causing me to go into serious cognitive dissonance.
 
Are you sure that the 82 is silver? does it have a copperband in it? or is it just a proof coin?

If silver, thats an awsome score. :thumbsup:

Mojo
 
obediah said:
stu123 said:
Got 300$ in halves from the bank. all hand rolled. here are the results
1966
1968 d X 2
1982 s

1999p with real weak date & Y & TRUST - is that of any value?
That's it for 600 coins.
Looking at 600 coins I noticed none past 2001. Are halves past 2001 hard to find?
One whole roll was 1976. my fascination with that year is done for. there were also 3 real nice 1977's in a row.
the 1982 was the first silver clad I ever saw. It's superior finish just jumped out at me. Otherwise the s mint mark would have gone unnoticed.
Now, won't it be fun dumping $296.50 at a bank! This new hobby sure challenges my normal shyness.
Thanks

Pardon me but how can a Silver be a clad it is either %40 or %90 Silver or it is a CLAD, no? I've never seen one myself, can't even conceptualize what one would look like- in fact thinking about it is causing me to go into serious cognitive dissonance.

The 40% are silver clads. Clad is a mixture of metals

DW
 
coinmojo said:
Are you sure that the 82 is silver? does it have a copperband in it? or is it just a proof coin?

If silver, thats an awsome score. :thumbsup:

Mojo

I've over 100 proofs but only 2 Silver proofs which just got both last week 2001 & 04, understand they are %90's.
 
My 1982 s half has a coppery edge, but a has more silvery than normal finish on the face and back. Perhaps clad wasn't the right term. maybe it's a proof. I'm new at this.
Thanks for your input.
 
Yeah I thought silver proofs didn't happen until 92. Except for some 76. Probably a proof.
 
nyiangelo said:
Yeah I thought silver proofs didn't happen until 92. Except for some 76. Probably a proof.

Did not know that but did find so far 3 76s Silver proofs guess they are %40's as you say.
 
Lucky Guy!

I also picked up $300.00 in halves today, havent gone through them yet I always save them for the last of my daily activities.

Hopefully ill get lucky!
 
stu123 said:
My 1982 s half has a coppery edge, but a has more silvery than normal finish on the face and back. Perhaps clad wasn't the right term. maybe it's a proof. I'm new at this.
Thanks for your input.

These are copper nickle clad proofs.
 

Attachments

  • copperclad proofs.gif
    copperclad proofs.gif
    90.4 KB · Views: 279
There are 40% 1976 S silver proofs and silver mint strikes. I have some of both. All 1976 silvers are 40%.

If ever in doubt whether a half is silver or not, the simple ring test never fails. Ding the coin against a known copper half and listen to see if it is silver. Sometimes looking at the rim is not enough to tell.

Jim
 
Stu first reported it was a 1982 "s". Therefore it is a proof. Just have to learn the terminology stu, that's all.
HH
Gilbert
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom