What's new

3oz Pendant

detectorFRED

Full Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2012
Messages
136
Reaction score
172
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Treasure Hunter 3300, Dousing Rods, Automatic Writing, The Outsiders (UCAs)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple years ago I found this object along a river bank in Pennsylvania. It weighs 3 troy ounces and has a density of 10.91g/cm3...a density between silver and lead.

I've talked with numerous experts, including world-renowned forensic geologist Scott Wolter from the History channel's series America Unearthed. Everyone agrees that it has a man made hole in the top and that it is most likely a pendant or an amulet. However, no one has seen anything like it or are they able to confirm it's origin. I've been told that it could be Jesuit, Viking or Alchemist.

A few months back, I was privately contacted by someone who claimed to have recognized a few of the symbols on it. They asked, " Did you find the object near a known cave?" I replied "Which symbols do you recognize?". I've never heard from them again.

Any suggestions?
 

Attachments

  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    65.5 KB · Views: 283
  • 0605161909[1].webp
    0605161909[1].webp
    403.7 KB · Views: 238
  • Will Penn 2 (2).webp
    Will Penn 2 (2).webp
    46.5 KB · Views: 242
  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    68.9 KB · Views: 239
  • 5.webp
    5.webp
    40.6 KB · Views: 236
  • Will Penn (1).webp
    Will Penn (1).webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 683
Upvote 18
I say go ahead and have it tested lead or silver, heck it's only 5 bucks to get it done.
O and once I read that you had Scott Wolter look at it he narrated the rest of your post for me haha

People fish with lead, so no chance it's silver.
 
Can you show me where you see this? Thanks
 
I just received this from the office of Robert L. Schuyler,
University of Pennsylvania Museum of Anthropology.

Fred:

Greg Urban, my departmental chair, passed your inquiry on to me.

It looks like a silver ingot of some type. I can not see the symbols you refer to but if they are Chinese characters then there were such silver ingots used by merchants and others. They would be stamped by the Chinese government.

I would suggest you send your message with the photos to:
 
A second opinion from
Clark Lowden Erickson,
UPENN Museum

Mr. Marble,

I’ve never seen anything like it. Because of the silver and lead, the object is probably not pre-columbian (not indigenous native American) but rather from the historic period. You may have a silver ingot that someone put a hole through so it wouldn’t be lost before smelting, casting, and/or hamering it into an object.

Clark
 
You seem convinced that you have something other than a lead fishing weight so why to you need convince us of it? If you want to prove to us (me) that it is silver you should take it to a jeweler and video tape it being tested to prove it is silver then post the video. Until I see that I'm not convinced and I would love for you to prove me wrong.
 
what is the hold up on having it professionally tested in person? You've had it for years wondering and hoping. drop by a jeweler and get it over with.
 
Hobo art on a piece of Babbitt.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom