What's new

3rd Consecutive trip, 3rd Consecutive FIRST EVER FIND, along with BONUS FINDS!!!

Metal Illness

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2011
Messages
612
Reaction score
722
Golden Thread
0
Location
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit my field site again today, after the rain and thaw. First find within 30 minutes, 1830 LC. Over the next 5 hours I picked up 1 nice Arrowhead and thumb scraper and 3 broken pieces, Bonus Finds. Too bad the one had the base broken off it would have been a pretty nice big piece. Also found 3 Indians, 1882, 1887, 1890 and what I thought was my 2nd LC. (The toasted unrecognizable photo). Found what I think is a Shell button? (surface Bonus Find) Not sure, any Ideas will be appreciated! Found 4-5 types of buckles, one was a surface find. Found a monster 5-6 lb Axe head. (surface Bonus Find) Also found a 1866 (with rays) Shield Nickel, only my second ever shield. It was muddy, cold (low 30s) winds steady 20 plus mph, brutal conditions out there today. So, back to my 3rd consecutive FIRST EVER. I was walking rows maybe 100 yards long, north to south and back. It was getting late, I was tired, hungry, cold, muddy and wet. At the north end when I turn (headed back south) I decided to walk as far south as my truck (50 yards or so) turn left and go to it, (maybe 250 yds away). I decided to keep swinging my coil until I walked out of the debris field, and boy I'm glad I did. About 20 feet after my left turn towards the truck I got a 11-12/44-45 on the E-trac and dug my FIRST EVER Seated Silver!! 1876s Dime! Found another strange disc type thingy, need help identifying this. It says on the front PAT APD FOR (I'm guessing) Patton Applied For. At each of the notches it is labeled 10, 25, 50. I have no clue other than very old school spark plug gapper........lol

What a good site this has been so far. 1) My first fatty Indian. 2) My first CW Button. 3) My first Seated coin

Thanks for looking, Bill
 

Attachments

  • photo (77).webp
    photo (77).webp
    17.6 KB · Views: 152
  • photo (89).webp
    photo (89).webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 141
  • photo (90).webp
    photo (90).webp
    31 KB · Views: 139
  • photo (91).webp
    photo (91).webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 141
  • photo (78).webp
    photo (78).webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 561
  • photo (79).webp
    photo (79).webp
    18.4 KB · Views: 147
  • photo (80).webp
    photo (80).webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 156
  • photo (81).webp
    photo (81).webp
    41.6 KB · Views: 158
  • photo (82).webp
    photo (82).webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 164
  • photo (83).webp
    photo (83).webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 152
  • photo (84).webp
    photo (84).webp
    9 KB · Views: 144
  • photo (85).webp
    photo (85).webp
    8.2 KB · Views: 152
  • photo (86).webp
    photo (86).webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 157
  • photo (87).webp
    photo (87).webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 149
  • photo (92).webp
    photo (92).webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 159
  • photo (93).webp
    photo (93).webp
    23.9 KB · Views: 135
  • photo (88).webp
    photo (88).webp
    25.3 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 30
That's a site you'll never forget. Great finds! That nickel is in damn good shape compared to most. And your first seated dime....hell yeah bro! What a fun day.
 
Amazing finds :icon_thumright:
 
Fantastic finds Bill! Man! that shield was only made with rays 1866-67, in that condition (dug) the value may not be what we think it should be worth, but as few as there are, and really it iS in fine shape for being underground IMHO.. that's just a sweet find! (I know I'm using a lot of exclamation points, but I can't help it) Looking forward to seeing the LC cleaned up and I'm jealous of your seated! Still looking.. WTG! Go 2015! (see, I can't stop) !!!!
 
Killlllleeerrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
 
The item wit 10 25 & 50 is some sort of gauge. I bet if you too a 10 gauge wire you would find it is close if not a fit.
 
Oh, love the finds -- especially the indian artifacts!
 
HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And no apology for the exclamation points. Those finds deserve every one of them. What a wonderful hunt!!
 
The item wit 10 25 & 50 is some sort of gauge. I bet if you too a 10 gauge wire you would find it is close if not a fit.
Yea after I posted, guessing spark plug thingy, I thought of it as possibly some kind of tool used for checking thickness (tolerances) maybe for wire like you said? Hope someone can give a definitive ID. Thanks for suggesting.
 
Very nice hunt. You got all sorts of good stuff, congrats!
 
Nice assortment of finds - great job!
 
very interesting hunt with a lot of very nice finds, I would be excited too
 
Nice saves! Congrats on your 3 firsts! Awesome!

The condition on those is real good for dug! Nice!
 
Great finds. Your possible shell button looks something like my one that was a eyeball find as well! :)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420492861.355829.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420492882.374499.webp
 
Very similar isn't it? Did you determine it is a button? I can't figure out how it connects, maybe part of it is missing? Thanks for the pics, at least there is something out there to compare it to.

I always just assumed it was a button because I've heard of old shell & pearl buttons. I thought mine had just the two holes and the centre broke out. Maybe someone on here knows something about them. In the picture yours looks like it has no holes though?
 
Congrats on the fine day of hunting and getting your first Seated!
So did you forget about being tired, hungry, cold, muddy and wet after digging the silver?
It takes a lot to keep
going when all them things are eating away at ones resolve, well having to take a dump doesn't help either.
 
Congrats on the fine day of hunting and getting your first Seated!
So did you forget about being tired, hungry, cold, muddy and wet after digging the silver?
It takes a lot to keep
going when all them things are eating away at ones resolve, well having to take a dump doesn't help either.

I was afraid to even check it to verify. I waited until I got home, then I showed my wife pictures of Bust and Seated Silvers and told her to tell me what I had found. I was so pumped hoping it was either or, and I couldn't help thinking it might be a Barber or Merc. She checked it and said, well this is one you haven't found before.........BOOM!! Finally after 4 years I found a Seated!!!! Now it's snowing and freezing and I don't know when I will get back out there :o(
 
I always just assumed it was a button because I've heard of old shell & pearl buttons. I thought mine had just the two holes and the centre broke out. Maybe someone on here knows something about them. In the picture yours looks like it has no holes though?
It doesn't have any holes. Kinda looks like the bottom of a 22 shell casing (brass sheen) with no markings. It does have me baffled.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom