What's new

4 Indians, a Buffalo, some wheats: what I missed without the ATP stock coil

Dave2000

Full Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2014
Messages
105
Reaction score
226
Golden Thread
0
Location
Long Island, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (Coils: 5x8, stock, Tornado)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back to a wooded site that I'd hit hard with the 5x8 coil on my AT Pro a few times until the good signals stopped (I'd found a 2-cent piece, a large cent, 3 Indians, a "V" and some wheats there with the 5x8). I went back, reinstalled the stock coil, and quickly found four Indian Head cents (1867, 1904, 1906, 1907), a Buffalo (working on the date, but it's a "D") and a few wheats that jumped right out that the 5x8 missed.

I originally chose the 5x8 for this site because there's a local road (car and pedestrian) that's adjacent to it, so there was a fair amount of trash (caps, foil) to sort through.

The 5x8 coil is awesome, but don't forget about the stock coil. The new targets were not deep (they were within the depth range of the 5x8) but I think the 5x8 coil needs much more overlap of the swings to properly cover a site-- this obviously wasn't happening with the 5x8, even though I'd hit the site several times. Still lots of ground to cover again with the stock coil.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    65.4 KB · Views: 99
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    90.2 KB · Views: 88
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 88
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    431.2 KB · Views: 99
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    398 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 12
Looks like a great day to me. Congrats on pulling those keepers. :occasion14:
 
Proof that using different coil, as well as different detectors on the same site will maximize the finds.

Nice digs!
 
It's always a good idea to use different coils on a productive site. Nice thinking on your part:thumbsup: Nice finds too! :occasion14:
 
That is so cool. Nice job. For some reason I have not had my stock coil on the E-Trac now for about 2 years. Its either the 6x8, SEF or 11"DD. I have used the larger one in areas that had some heavy trash and was able to find coins. It was just driving me nuts to move so slow, slow and slower.
 
4 IH's and a buff screams of silver still waiting to be saved. Good hunt!!

All I've ever used was the stock coil.Now you got me thinking, do I need a 5x8 coil?
 
Thanks for all the feedback. 😃

4 IH's and a buff screams of silver still waiting to be saved. Good hunt!!

All I've ever used was the stock coil.Now you got me thinking, do I need a 5x8 coil?

The 5x8 is great for target selection in trashy areas, and pinpointing with the 5x8 is really crisp and precise (making target recovery very fast).

Yeah, I'm thinking that there has to be a Seated or a Barber at this site considering the 7 Indians and the other coins in this area so far.
 
lots of Indians nickels and wheats, sounds like a great day to me!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom