Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello All, :hello:

I got out this morning for my usual Sunday Morning hunt to a 1940's park that I've been selectively 'gridding' for the past week. So far, I've pulled 2 silver dimes out of here, this morning I finally found a silver quarter. I've been hoping the whole time that I've been hunting here that this park had seen little or no detector action ... well today I found out different! :angry7: I met up with a couple of guys walking their dogs this morning and found out that this park has been hunted by quite a few people over the years. One guy actually told me that "there seems to be somebody new hunting this park each year, you just happen to be the guy this year". Talk about getting my hopes dashed in a single blow! :violent1:
The way I look at it is ... those before me obviously missed these silvers, so there must be more to be found! :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking,
Dave

Attachments

• SDC19253.JPG
    SDC19253.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 86
  • SDC19254.JPG
    SDC19254.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 85
  • SDC19237.JPG
    SDC19237.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 82
  • SDC19252.JPG
    SDC19252.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 82
  • SDC19270.JPG
    SDC19270.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 89
  • SDC19259.JPG
    SDC19259.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 94
  • SDC19265.JPG
    SDC19265.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 84
  • SDC19264.JPG
    SDC19264.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 11

AnonymousTurker

May 2, 2014
New Bedford Mass
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always remember no park is ever hunted out, if that was true I wouldn't be finding anything at my main hunting ground. I also wanted to thank you for the answer to a age old question if you Canadians ever get our change mixed up in yours heh.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't ever get discouraged that you're not the first buddy. Some of the greatest finds come from "hunted out" sites. It is soooooo easy to miss good stuff. The spot that I dug 12 dandy buttons and the other stuff yesterday I easily could have walked over. Very deep stuff, mostly masked by iron. If not for that one great signal that made me slow down I certainly might have missed it all. It makes me wonder how many times I've walked over great areas. So this site could prove to give up your best find ever my friend.
But I will say this is why I love getting my skinny ass out in the middle of nowhere or out on an island. Some place that very few feet have ever been on. Something very satisfying to me about that. Best of luck Dave , Abe

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it is guys like you that give guys like me hope, a lot of detectors cover a lot of ground aimlessly but when someone grids carefully, they find some really good stuff like you did. I am learning a lot by info given out on this forum. we have some great people who are both helpful and encouraging and I hope you find even better finds there.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds !! and cleaned up very nicely..I might add..congrats on the silver!,,ddf

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Always remember no park is ever hunted out, if that was true I wouldn't be finding anything at my main hunting ground. I also wanted to thank you for the answer to a age old question if you Canadians ever get our change mixed up in yours heh.

Thanks for your post AT! :thumbsup:
The way I go about detecting I'm sure isn't the same way everyone else goes about it.
This morning I literally spent 4hrs overlapping an area that measured 30'W x 100'L, you can see the result.
So does this look like a park that's been 'hit hard' by others to you? :laughing7:
Best of luck to you,
Dave

Don't ever get discouraged that you're not the first buddy. Some of the greatest finds come from "hunted out" sites. It is soooooo easy to miss good stuff. The spot that I dug 12 dandy buttons and the other stuff yesterday I easily could have walked over. Very deep stuff, mostly masked by iron. If not for that one great signal that made me slow down I certainly might have missed it all. It makes me wonder how many times I've walked over great areas. So this site could prove to give up your best find ever my friend.
But I will say this is why I love getting my skinny ass out in the middle of nowhere or out on an island. Some place that very few feet have ever been on. Something very satisfying to me about that. Best of luck Dave , Abe
As always, I'm very grateful for your post and your advice Abe! :occasion14:
All of the silvers I've found here so far have been clear as a bell, with no questioning what it was.
When I saw the 89 - 91 on the VDI, I knew it was either silver or another crushed pop-can! :laughing7:
Take care buddy,
Dave

it is guys like you that give guys like me hope, a lot of detectors cover a lot of ground aimlessly but when someone grids carefully, they find some really good stuff like you did. I am learning a lot by info given out on this forum. we have some great people who are both helpful and encouraging and I hope you find even better finds there.
Thanks very much for your kind words dirtlooter! :occasion14:
This is only my fourth year detecting and most of what I've learned has come from conversing with the good members here on Tnet!
Don't forget ... an object in the ground can essentially sound and read differently from 4 different directions.
This is the main reason why I intensively grid smaller areas so as not to miss anything! :thumbsup:
Best of luck to you my friend,
Dave

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're finding good items, Dave.....I'd be happy that I wasn't the first. That says you are a little more methodical, have better hunches or just luckier! Either way, you're making quality finds and having fun doing it! Still seems like a great place to me.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is my theory on parks/large land tracts. I hunt mainly homes and look for old coins. Most of the homes have small yards so gridding them isn't a problem. Last week I hunted a home with just under 2 acres of "huntable" area and after doing the normal halo around the house itself I was lost. I knew I couldn't grid the whole place as it would take forever.

SOOOOOO.........I did what most people do at a large park. I wandered around hitting likely looking spots. There might have been a silver coin 2 feet to the left or right of me but I will never know.

I think someone like you with the intelligence and patience to just pick out a 30' x 100' area and grid it will net you continued success there and other places that are hunted.

So congratulations on the silver quarter. I'm confident you'll find more at that park.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're finding good items, Dave.....I'd be happy that I wasn't the first. That says you are a little more methodical, have better hunches or just luckier! Either way, you're making quality finds and having fun doing it! Still seems like a great place to me.
Thanks very much Dave! :occasion14:
This park is definitely a challenge ... as you mentioned, I try to look 'outside-the-box' when I'm detecting parks and hit the areas that likely saw less detector action previously.
These are the less obvious areas to hit, consequently less time would have been spent here by others detecting, so this is where I feel I'm most likely to find anything that's been missed!

Best of luck to you buddy,
Dave

Here is my theory on parks/large land tracts. I hunt mainly homes and look for old coins. Most of the homes have small yards so gridding them isn't a problem. Last week I hunted a home with just under 2 acres of "huntable" area and after doing the normal halo around the house itself I was lost. I knew I couldn't grid the whole place as it would take forever.

SOOOOOO.........I did what most people do at a large park. I wandered around hitting likely looking spots. There might have been a silver coin 2 feet to the left or right of me but I will never know.

I think someone like you with the intelligence and patience to just pick out a 30' x 100' area and grid it will net you continued success there and other places that are hunted.

So congratulations on the silver quarter. I'm confident you'll find more at that park.

Thanks very much for your words of support beez! :thumbsup:
It's always good to hear from other experienced hunters that my 'detecting theories' make sense.
I feel that you have to have a plan of attach when detecting large tracts of land, as there's no way you're ever going to find everything on the first trip.
This means making multiple trips and having a plan of where you're going to detect each day before you get to the site.

As I mentioned in my post ... there's no way this site has been thoroughly hunted with the sheer volume of coins I'm finding here, so there has to be more silver! :laughing7:

Take care bud,
Dave

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the nice coins.

I am glad to see you prove those nay sayers wrong... with silver coins. I hunt some parks and schools that everyone says are hunted out. I don't find a lot, but I do find silvers here and there. It always feels good to see the look on someone face when you tell them that you found a silver at a place they said was not worth hunting. GL&HH.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice coins.

I am glad to see you prove those nay sayers wrong... with silver coins. I hunt some parks and schools that everyone says are hunted out. I don't find a lot, but I do find silvers here and there. It always feels good to see the look on someone face when you tell them that you found a silver at a place they said was not worth hunting. GL&HH.
Thanks very much for your post Tom! :occasion14:
This is so true Tom, if I had actually listened to everybody I met who said, "you won't find anything, somebody already hunted here", I wouldn't have found half of the stuff I did! :laughing7:

Best of luck to you my friend,
Dave

PS. In talking with the 'dog walkers' yesterday morning at the park, they actually gave me a lead on the remains an old log cabin in the woods about 5kms north of here ... so guess where I'm going tomorrow before I come back here?! :laughing7: :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread