$5 2001 Federal Reserve Note Blue Seal (Not a silver certificate).

Fresh Find

Greenie
Dec 8, 2023
Two possibilities based solely on the images provided.

1. Counterfeit.

2. Ink color issue.

Only a qualified professional can tell you, and it will be based on inspection.
Well I did send it into PMG but I've had the thing for a long time and the research that I've done on it. With other examples that I have came across seems to me that it would be an error it's too perfect no color alterations anywhere else due to chemicals and has the black pigments in the serial number as does regular bills some more apparent than others among other things. Of course PMG said it was a altered note. The Secret Service says that it is inkwell contamination. I've tried to get a hold of the BEP with no avail. And PMG does not explain how they came to the conclusion. From my understanding instead of using ink they use chemicals to create the color of black and green for the seals and serial number which doesn't mean that there couldn't have been an issue. And then if they use ink the color yellow magenta and cyan are the primary colors for ink Cyan being an exact color of blue that is on the bill. By any chance do you know of any leads that I could maybe track down and get more information?

Fresh Find

Greenie
Dec 8, 2023
I wonder what ever happened to this story/chapters missing/final chapter missing.
The OP was pretty adamant trying to recover the bill.
I guess like a lot of thing we just go :dontknow:
I don't know this is the first time I came across this specific bill of the original post and I ran across quite a few in The two years of research for mine.

Fresh Find

Greenie
Dec 8, 2023

1. Counterfeit.

2. Ink color issue.

Another thing that makes me feel like it's not chemically altered or anything like that is all the examples that I've came across even in different denominations none of them are exactly the same. The ones that you can tell are chemically altered because of other ink pigments are discolored the blue color is a lot different almost like a silver certificate or it'll be yellow and the ones that are the same color as mine there's no color alteration anywhere else on the bill. And this all seemed to have started with the printing of the large face bills. And have not seen any $1 bills with this issue only five tens and twenties.

Fresh Find

Greenie
Dec 8, 2023

1. Counterfeit.

2. Ink color issue.

I'm sorry when I said that they weren't exactly the same. The ones that aren't chemically altered are the same exact color blue but only the seals will be blue or one side of it with a seal and serial number will be blue there's one I seen that the seal was blue and the serial number went from dark green to blue it kind of faded into it but the other side was normal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread