+50.000 years old? Effigy of Indian Chief made from iron ore/or meterorite

BlackHorse

Aug 16, 2020
Southeastern Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello everyone, While getting a head start tilling my garden spot back in late February I tilled up a blackish almost triangular effigy. at first glance I knew it was modified by man but didnt know exactly if it was an effigy or tool because of the pedal like corrosion completely covering it. while washing it in the sink I could smell the iron. Anyway after many hours over the last couple months of painstakingly brushing, rubbing, and whatever means I could find to restore it (while preserving it.) Im done. I've never shown it or published it to anyone.I probably would have tossed it aside if hadn't become involved with this fascinating hobby (Indian Art/Rock Hunting) about 1 1/2 years ago. The reason I think its 50,000 years or older is because on part of the opposite side is what I believe to be the head of a sabre tooth lion or tiger. So I guess my 3 Questions are: Is it +50,000 years old? Is it iron ore or was it made from a meteorite? Am I on the right sight to get answers to my Questions. Help please!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and welcome to TreasureNet. You would have to post a picture for us to be able to help you.

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There weren’t even any humans in the Americas until about 20,000 years ago.

The saber tooth cat and other megafauna went extinct 12,000 years ago.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And even from 12,000 years ago we are talking subsictence living, not megaculture.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love to see an image. If it is iron and a 50,000 year old meteorite it came to Earth that way - as no one had the technology to shape iron at that time. Not for another 46,000 years or so.

PS - Saber toothed cats existed until about 12,000 years ago in North America. Not that that changes much.

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Once images are posted, we can then give opinions and advice. Until then.

Time for more coffee.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just from that one post, it feels like we have met before....what an exciting find.
Good luck.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard BlackHorse! Take a look at Forum: Missouri for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

photo_camera.gif
2nd - Like others have suggested - a picture(s) is worth a zillion words! If you are having problems posting pictures - take a look at: How to post pictures with your story...

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer your last question... You are on the right sire to get answers. I have a feeling you already know what those answers will be.

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did this person ever put up a photo? And realize man had been digging and moving earth for a long time. Even if something was found at a certain strata, it may have been dug to that level and deliberately left there much more recently and not be so old..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread