6/12 ohio field hunt

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
pickaway and i ended up meetn up at our favorite spot and had a good ole hunt in the mud,it wasnt too bad just had to dodge the low areas.it rained here 2 inches yesterday.lets see those pics your hiding pickaway :dontknow:
0612091053.jpg

0612091054.jpg

0612090822.jpg

0612090824a.jpg

0612090830.jpg

0612090851.jpg

0612090852.jpg

broken drill made of moss agate serious heartbreaker and the blade,missing a little of the base
greg-rocksartifactcollection022-1.jpg

greg-rocksartifactcollection031.jpg

neat little blade,incredible flaking and finely serrated,
greg-rocksartifactcollection023-1.jpg

3 knives found within 30 ft of each other
greg-rocksartifactcollection024.jpg

archaic cornernotch,little damge,bummer
greg-rocksartifactcollection021-1.jpg

2 good example of a paleo scraper,nice spurs/spokeshavers
greg-rocksartifactcollection025.jpg

greg-rocksartifactcollection026.jpg

todays haul
greg-rocksartifactcollection027.jpg

brokes
greg-rocksartifactcollection032.jpg

Upvote 0

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice stuff and a lot of it, G-R !!!

Ah, to live in Ohio !!

Can you put a name on the rootbeer-colored chalcedony with the white patches (pic. #8) ?
Flintridge ? Ultra-highgrade Coshocton ?

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Nice haul Greg, lots of interesting pieces and materials there. The drill would have been a killer. I like the paleo scrapers with gravers, ever find and paleo points at that multicomponent spot?

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
hey thirty7,yes its funny you should ask.pickaway and i have two spots at this site that we call paleo hill.i was just getting ready to ask what your opinion was of this piece ?i found it today but forgot to add the pic in this post.the second pic is to answer your question,i found this, this year.Pickaway and i have found other early pieces in this spot.mostly broken.
greg-rocksartifactcollection021-2.jpg

greg-rocksartifactcollection039.jpg

greg-rocksartifactcollection040.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you guys have the points. Another great hunt and post. Those gravers are classics. You need to jump over to Bravowhiskeys thread btw. :thumbsup:

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Sweeet little paleo lanceolate, a killer! May even be a small Plainview. Any flutes on the Mercer paleo above it? If not it looks like a resharpened unfluted fluted type, possible Hi-Lo? nice piece. Just my opinions , I'm no expert but I'm a geek when it comes to research and identification.

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
thanks thiry7, tn mts and uniface.yea it does have a flute and it does have a slightly ground base.the thing about the flute is that it goes at an angle from the center of the base to the blade edge 2/3 the way up the blade.maybe the maker messed up when putting in the flute chnnl?it isnt fluted on the other side.yea i am an typology geek also.i thought the hi-lo type also but the reference i am using says they are not fluted???will get a better pic up tommorrow.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
greg-rocks said:
thanks thiry7, tn mts and uniface.yea it does have a flute and it does have a slightly ground base.the thing about the flute is that it goes at an angle from the center of the base to the blade edge 2/3 the way up the blade.maybe the maker messed up when putting in the flute chnnl?it isnt fluted on the other side.yea i am an typology geek also.i thought the hi-lo type also but the reference i am using says they are not fluted???will get a better pic up tommorrow.

It may be a Clovis ? Overstreet 10th edition has a picture of a fluted Hi Lo from Ky, but I think it's not typical of the type. I've got a point that is fluted like that, starts in the middle of the base and goes left towards the blade edge.

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
i have overstreet 10th also and i just got it out,you could be rite.i was looking in an old Hothem ohio guide,have had it for 20+ years and its still my favorite ohio guide.would totally crap if it were a clovis.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds guys, i was out in the rain and the mud checking a spot on thursday.

P

pickaway

Nice finds man... That CN is really neat piece to find one that size.gettn ready to go creekn soon as i finish this am brewsky... :headbang:

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
It might very well be paleo, though there were points like that made in some places (like Mo.) (which I'm not familiar with) later.

Tony Baker has floated an interesting speculation that at least some of these are salvaged Agate Basin point blade sections.

Makes as much sense as anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions