ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a little lazy on posting my finds (or lack thereof), but this will get me up to date. 3 weeks ago I posted about my best box of halves ever with one that contained 38 40%ers. So two weeks ago I was eagerly anticipating my weekly 4 boxes (I get 2 boxes from 2 separate banks). I stop at the first bank and they had forgotten to order them. I get to the 2nd bank and one of the tellers had sold my boxes to someone else. Historically my boxes haven't produced much, so normally it wouldn't have been a big deal. But, for the 4 or 5 weeks previous, they had been producing FAR better than ever. What horrible timing for both banks to fail to get my ordered boxes. Last week the one bank again forgot to order, but I picked up 2 from the other bank. This week I obtained all 4 boxes. Last week's 2 boxes produced 1 40%er each. This week's 4 boxes contained 1 40%er and 3 skunks.

On 4-18-11, I took another long road trip. Round trip I drove 401 miles hitting 44 banks in 8 different towns that I had never been to. I found almost $3000 in halves ($2971) to search. I found MANY rolls re-wrapped in those all too familiar yellow and white Loomis/String & Sons wrappers. 6 of the 44 banks produced silver, but not much. Total take was 17 40%, 1 '64 Ken, and a '95S silver proof. I did also find an '87P and an '87S proof to complete my 1987 set. The best stop produced 7 of the 40%, both of the 90%, and an '82S clad proof.

I took another small road trip on 4-28. I had to run an out of town errand, so I figured I'd use that as an excuse to revisit some banks I hadn't been to in awhile. I hit 25 banks in 8 different towns. I didn't find many halves (~$160), nor did I expect to. So to increase my chances, I bought every handrolled dime that they would sell as well as a few machine rolls. I ended up with $860 in dimes. The halves produced a lone 40%er. The dimes produced a lone 1964...which is right in line with my "career" average. I am really envious of those of you that find all the silver dimes. I would be ecstatic if I could average anywhere close to 1 per box.

I also scored 3 40%ers on dump day last week from a teller's tray. April was by far my worst month so far this year. But, in all reality, I was due for a slow month as I got off to a really good start this year.

Upvote 0

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieBassMan,
First right of the bat, I will say I am a tad envious that you got do to some road trips. :laughing9: Oh, I wish I could!

And, I am in the same boat. April was not so hot for me either. Sad to say, but with gas prices (at least in Texas) so high, chances are more folks will be parting with their coins. Mr. Apush is in a tether as he is spending over $100 to fill his tank. I told him to start riding the Harley to work. I do, so he can, too. :icon_sunny:

It won't be long till' the silver flows again--and you do have more to add to the pile.

apush :read2:

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
When it comes to dimes, I like bags. Big loose bags, right off the machine. Rolls that look customer wrapped, may be bank teller wrapped, and the ones that are customer wrapped, are most likely bank teller checked. The more eyes that see the coins, the less likely silver will be left in. My main source bank saves me loose bags. I explained to them early on that it was a waste of money, for them to wrap them and me to unwrap them. This way they aren't paying anyone to run the wrapper, the wrapper isn't running, saving them electricity and paper. And it is better for the planet (greener). Over 100 loose bags of 5000 and only 2 skunks.
I wish I had more places to dump dimes, I could search a whole lot more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread