Found this .69cal. Prussian bullet in the Union trenchworks near Hag. Md. Lee's retreat from Gettysburg. [not really retreating just fighting in different direction]
Man I know we've hunted the same spots. I just got to them about 15-20 years later. I've dug I'm going to say a dozen of them. 5th corps. People watch this forum so I'm not giving up the spots lol. If you want pm me. Very nice bullet buddy. I found some that were carved also.
You are correct , Of the Digger's that have found them 'I 'd say 5 + Drops or Fired' I can not recall ; all came from certain small areas . One in a now developed area off Cooper Lake Rd.
I got 1 at the Brushy Mt's lines most Eastern End . (developed)
1 Fired near Kennessaw Mt.
& A fired or 2 from the Chickamauga area.
69. Balls are pretty common , I do wonder if these were from buck & ball load's ( never found a dropped B & B load tho ) do get many small shot but they are hard to put a "Fired Date" on.
In short , Here IMO the Shotgun was popular. & Accounts for the .69 cal Balls .
I don't measure as much as I should but round Lead Case Shot seems to be a tad larger , & has a distinctive look. JMO.