What's new

8/15-8/16/09 finds over the weekend, austin, tx

abarnard

Full Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
232
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Hey there fellow artifact hunters, hope you all had a nice weekend, and some of you nice hunts. Well, you guys like rain to uncover artifacts, and I am using the current drought advantages here in Austin, tx, where the dry weather has droped lake levels to below 30', hahaha. Since it hasn't been this low in ages, it has uncovered some areas that haven't been scouted over in a longggggg time. Well, I found some good stuff here on saturday morning, and then went out again on sunday morning, and both days I seemed to do pretty good. Mostly scrapers found, but some nice ones though. I found a nice chopper, and a sweet blade that I want UNIFACE to look at. The blade is triangular and must have came off the core perfectly struck b/c it sure has been well manufactured. Also, it has been reworked on both edges very nicely. Made out of some real nice material this one; seems all the nicely flaked pieces I find on my stompin grounds are made from the same material. It's funny, b/c it looks like the Levallois flake technique might have been utilized. It sure looks similar to alot of examples that I have found. Maybe Uniface can give me some info or examples. Got some pics for ya'll. Happy huntin. Oh, gonna add the rest in a bit
 

Attachments

  • DSC00648-1.webp
    DSC00648-1.webp
    10.4 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC00646-1.webp
    DSC00646-1.webp
    12.9 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC00644-1.webp
    DSC00644-1.webp
    11.3 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC00643-1.webp
    DSC00643-1.webp
    8.4 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC00642-1.webp
    DSC00642-1.webp
    7.5 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC00640-1.webp
    DSC00640-1.webp
    12.6 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC00639-1.webp
    DSC00639-1.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 308
  • DSC00638-1.webp
    DSC00638-1.webp
    11.2 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC00637-1.webp
    DSC00637-1.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 313
  • DSC00659-1.webp
    DSC00659-1.webp
    13.5 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC00664-1.webp
    DSC00664-1.webp
    10.9 KB · Views: 307
  • DSC00661-1.webp
    DSC00661-1.webp
    14.2 KB · Views: 311
Upvote 0
You got yourself a real nice limace there, ABarnard. Classic form. But it looks like the edges have seen some uncommonly hard use. That's puzzling.

The flake cores are nice too !

I'd say you had a good day out there !
 
Sorry, that pic of the blade isn't the best, the one who manufactured this piece pressure flaked the edges kinda like small serrations. More on one side than the other.
 
Looks like you did have a great weekend. Those artifacts are BIG. Great colors nice collection in a weekend I would say. Way to go Abarnard.
TnMtns
 
Nice!!! I have been wonderin bout the lakes too.I am near Mansfield dam.Mayhaps I will take a look.
 
Great haul of early tools, alot of interesting materials and artifacts, congrats. I'd bet there's some early points around that spot now that the lake has dropped so low.
 
NeoGeo you should go take a gander, there's exposed areas that haven't been walked on in a long while, years and years... MAke sure you are not tromping on government land and personal property though, don't want ya to get in trouble brother... You should definitely try it out though. Some areas have more gravel than others, try finding the areas lower to the lake where there's exposed limestone and tree stumps... Thanks for the replies ya'll, I hope to see some more posts from ya'll soon, you guys keep me occupied when work has been slow, hahaha.
 
Hey Geo and abernard, are y'all gonna make Digfest this year? If so, I hope to meet both of you...I've been the last 2 years and it has been a blast...lots of flint and fossils...
 
Hey oldgoat, I think that sounds like alot of fun, when is Digfest?? How much does it cost to go??? Do you end up finding some cool artifacts or is it a show of sorts??? Well, I hope I am not out of town on business when it is going on.
 
I would like to go.It is a nice place,hard diggin but nice.But I do not want to support A.D...

I do hope ya'll go a have a Great time...& good luck..
 
Wow, I just googled 2009 Digfest and checked out the pics of the 2008 Digfest, and it looked like a cluster, excuse my French, cluster #$*@... I don't think I could go there and be able to stand shoulder to shoulder with some nimrod throwing dirt all over the place. Going on a paydig somewhere where you have space, might cost you more money, but at least you can breathe, hahahha. I personally enjoy going hunting by myself where there's nothing but the birds to bother you..
 
From what I understand...The trench is a spot that opened just for the event.But you can dig the other camps if you like.I even heard the the owner moved around some bolders in the Paleo. camp...Should be O.K. diggin there.
 
Abanard, there are lots of places to dig or just surface hunt there, I go down there when I have time during the week and never see anyone, unless I take them with me...Have found alot of scallorns and perds, paleo scrapers and three differant shelters...
Neo, the Digfest doesn't support AD, all the proceeds go to the folks that own the ranch, just a fun get together with other diggers that we read on the different forums...
 
I did not mean to imply that A.D. got the proceds.The folks that run the ranch are the best,I realy like that place.And it is beautiful to boot.
 
No worries......We had a fallin out,And I don't want them to think I am saying something thats gonna give Badger problems in the futre
 
Sorry to hear about the falling out...Like I said earlier, you have spent a lot more time with them than I.
 
Thanx ...But it happens...I realy hope to get it back the way it was...but who knows..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom