cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello

Maybe this has been asked before

I am happy with my 800, except for iron falseing, and I suppose the pin pointing being off, also would like if pin pointer came up in my head phones
is it worth changing to 900 or Manticore for these improvement if they have been fixed

Thanks
The 900 is a bit better in iron. The pin point system is much better. You don't have to turn it off and then back on again to get it to work. It's got a better depth rating in the water too, along with many other features that are an improvement or extra feature that the 800 doesn't have. I'm not aware of any factory Minelab pin pointer pairing setup. The XP detectors have that though. There's also some aftermarket pin pointers that are wired into the coil cable. You might also look at the Garrett Z-link system to see if it's compatible with your detector.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello

I am happy with my 800, except for iron falseing, and I suppose the pin pointing being off, also would like if pin pointer came up in my head phones
is it worth changing to 900 or Manticore for these improvement if they have been fixed

Thanks
The Minelab Manticore is a nice jump-up! that screen really helps see what is down there!

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello

Thanks
It depends. For me it was a huge upgrade going from the 600 to the 700 because I am a beach hunter who prefers the dP tone setting. That tone setting is deeper and better for beach hunting. I also very much prefer that to regular tones. If it wasn't for that, its not worth the upgrade from the 800 to the 900 imo unless you have extra cash burning a hole in your pocket. Some small quality of life improvements but they aren't huge to justify the cost.

As far as the manticore, based on what I've read/seen I'd say if youre a beach hunter, looks like that and the dues2 are upgrades...but how much and are they worth an extra $1500? I guess if you hunt a lot yea and looking for those deep rings. But if you are an average hunter that won't find $1500 worth of stuff with the machine...its prob not worth it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, the improvements going from an 800 to a 900 was more than worth it. Everything works so much better and with the added features, no way I would pick an 800 over a 900.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The 800 still has that flooding issue that can crop up at any time. Sell it and get out of the crappy build of the 800 and get the 900.

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello

Thanks
The iron falsing for me anyway was not better between the 800 and 900. The pinpoint function on the 900 was an improvement over the 600/800 as far as working properly and it gives an ID number that is accurate instead of displaying the last ID number before pressing the pinpoint button like on the 600/800. The depth tones VCO 2 tone audio was a great addition to the 700/900. So are the improved target separation, redesign of the shaft system, hand grip and hopefully the waterproofing. Otherwise, I absolutely did not like the way the 900 detected compared to the 800. I depend on very accurate target IDs due to where and what I detect most of the time. The expanded target ID range on the 900 and its amped up gain made for very inaccurate, unstable target IDs, severe iron falsing from iron targets and iron mineralization and that was running the sensitivity well below the max 28.

For me anyway, the detector that detects much more like the successor of the Equinox 800 and has both design and performance improvements that I would have liked to have seen on the 700/900 is the Nokta Legend. The only thing about the 800 that I like better than the Legend are the differences in the user interface. The Legend can even use the same Bluetooth aftermarket wireless headphones or earbuds that work on the 600/800 which unfortunately are not compatible with the 700/900. Otherwise, a person can buy two Legends for the price of one 900. The 900 is absolutely not twice as good as the Legend. If it is better than the Legend at all is very debatable depending on what type of detecting a person does. You can buy three Legends for the price of a Manticore………

Last edited:

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The EMI susceptibility is frustratingly high in the 900 in Multi IQ. Lowering the Sensitivity or going to a single frequency can help. But to tell you the truth I generally just use the Legend in those EMI trouble areas because it just handles it better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread