fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While taking pic's & looking for arrowheads yesterday, I was walking in a dry section of a local river, I saw this metal object & gave it a nudge with my boot, it was a tin can, the lid came off & it was (full to the brim with coins).
after collecting my wits about me, I started taking pic's, & hurried home to clean them.
The whole can was full of rust , & coins were even sticking together, so by noon the next day, (today), I finished cleaning them the best I can for now, they had been in a tobacco sack with a drawstring, in the can.
Totals were.............1 peace dollar
1 Silver coin from the Netherlands
4 walking liberty halves
10 mercury dimes
13 V nickels
1 Barber half dollar
2 Barber quarters
1 flying eagle quarter
94 Indian head pennies (oldest 1864)
9 buffalo nickels
4 recent nickels
15 foreign coins (nothing very good)
20 wheat pennies ( 30's, 40's, 1 shot with a bullet)
1 token (Good For 5 cents in trade), slick on the back
1 sheild nickel 1836 (the best I can tell)

Not a 'bad haul' for me. :P

Fossis.............

Attachments

• Found on the River 010.JPG
    Found on the River 010.JPG
    289.3 KB · Views: 10,293
  • Found on the River 011.JPG
    Found on the River 011.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 10,179
  • Money Finds 001.JPG
    Money Finds 001.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 10,955
Upvote 31
Glad you're still getting feedback on this foss !! :)

-Tx

txconservative said:

-Tx

Thanks, here are pic's after cleaning them & putting them in a frame, I spent several Indian heads that were very corroded & couldn't make out a date, it was fun to watch the clerks as they tried to figure out what they were. :P

Fossis...........

Attachments

• 94 Indians In The River 001.JPG
    94 Indians In The River 001.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 94 Indians In The River 002.JPG
    94 Indians In The River 002.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 172
fossis said:
txconservative said:

-Tx

Thanks, here are pic's after cleaning them & putting them in a frame, I spent several Indian heads that were very corroded & couldn't make out a date, it was fun to watch the clerks as they tried to figure out what they were. :P

Fossis...........
I think you got these to clean to be worth anymore then what they are worth from the mint except for the silver ones you can scrap for silver price....

creeper71 said:
fossis said:
txconservative said:

-Tx

Fossis...........
I think you got these to clean to be worth anymore then what they are worth from the mint except for the silver ones you can scrap for silver price....

True, but if you saw the first of the post where they were stuck together, & so rusty, I had no choice but to scrub them to get all the 'crud' off.

Fossis.............

fossis said:
creeper71 said:
fossis said:
txconservative said:

-Tx

Fossis...........

True, but if you saw the first of the post where they were stuck together, & so rusty, I had no choice but to scrub them to get all the 'crud' off.

Fossis.............
I saw that I thought someone else would have told you to try hot Peroxide.. but they didn't....that takes off all foreign dirt an leaves the patina on....

creeper71 said:
fossis said:
creeper71 said:
fossis said:
txconservative said:

-Tx

Fossis...........

Fossis.............
I saw that I thought someone else would have told you to try hot Peroxide.. but they didn't....that takes off all foreign dirt an leaves the patina on....

That's good to know for next time. :thumbsup:

Fossis............

Fantastic display :headbang: not many can do that those coins are in good shape , again great find :thumbsup: Jim

Deepdiger60 said:
Fantastic display :headbang: not many can do that those coins are in good shape , again great find :thumbsup: Jim

Thanks Jim

Fossis..............

WOW , WOW & WOW !!! I have had dreams of finds like that !! :icon_thumright:
Glen

pl8man said:
WOW , WOW & WOW !!! I have had dreams of finds like that !! :icon_thumright:
Glen

Thanks, & congratulations on your 'BANNER FIND'. :thumbsup:

Fossis..............

WoW, Congrats too, you never konw what or how you'll find it.

Ant said:
WoW, Congrats too, you never konw what or how you'll find it.

Thanks, we just gotta keep looking down. :P

Fossis..............

Wow Wee!! Fantabulous! =)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back