What's new

99.9% sure its junk....SOLVED

maxmoney

Full Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2008
Messages
122
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bloomington Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini-3, Ace 250, Cen-Tech pinpointer
I found this while on a hunt yesterday. Before throwing it in the scrap box I figured I would make sure. It is very thin. It looks like at one time it was the size of a dime with a square hole in the middle. I highly doubt I could read it so clear if it was really from the date on it. I am thinking play money or novelty item? Just tell me to throw it away. :D

P.S. Don't laugh at me ......I know its tempting ;D
 

Attachments

  • DSC04449.webp
    DSC04449.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 656
  • DSC04450.webp
    DSC04450.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 591
Re: 99.9% sure its junk

Looks like part of a Chinese cash coin. Tony
 
Upvote 0
Re: 99.9% sure its junk

maxmoney said:
I found this while on a hunt yesterday. Before throwing it in the scrap box I figured I would make sure. It is very thin. It looks like at one time it was the size of a dime with a square hole in the middle. I highly doubt I could read it so clear if it was really from the date on it. I am thinking play money or novelty item? Just tell me to throw it away. :D

P.S. Don't laugh at me ......I know its tempting ;D

Greetings & Salutations! It appears to be an old Chinese bronze coin that had an open square centre so it and other such coins would be kept on a small square handle like on a knife. My sister's father who was a "China Sailer" in the early 1930s United States Navy's submarine service in Asia, he brought back a slew of such coins that were probably used in the earlier Boxer Rebellion. The writing is Chinese, not Korean or Japanese and the date is probably not that old as it would suggest, maybe 100 years old, maybe? The Chinese had their own calendar which is different than the Julian or Georgian calendars. Just a wild guess? :icon_scratch: Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California
 

Attachments

  • 4d14_1.webp
    4d14_1.webp
    37.8 KB · Views: 558
  • a2d8_1.webp
    a2d8_1.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 789
  • HCOI.webp
    HCOI.webp
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,407
Upvote 0
Re: 99.9% sure its junk

Sorry to bust the bubble but thats part of a coin. Here's the full thing from an Ebay add. They wern't sure of the origin(Japan, Korea or China)

p.s. A little additional information, the two dates on the back(?) 1736 and 1796 are the dates when Chien Lung started and ended his rule in China, so maybe some type of commemorative coin?
 

Attachments

  • japan1.webp
    japan1.webp
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,551
  • japan2.webp
    japan2.webp
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,448
Upvote 0
Re: 99.9% sure its junk

Fast_Dave said:
Sorry to bust the bubble but thats part of a coin. Here's the full thing from an Ebay add. They wern't sure of the origin(Japan, Korea or China)

p.s. A little additional information, the two dates on the back(?) 1736 and 1796 are the dates when Chien Lung started and ended his rule in China, so maybe some type of commemorative coin?

Thats it :icon_pirat:. Thanks for the info. I Found it in Tot Lot woodchips. I figured it was kids play money. Now I know its part of a real coin (commemorative) I will keep it. I thought it was going to have fisher price stamped on the top ;D.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-JAPAN-K...9563250QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Thanks everybody who took time to answer. I am glad I asked.

HH
Robert
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom