Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a permission to hunt a 1910 property, with adjacent empty lots. I was drooling with anticipation, my first target was a Boy Scout neckerchief slide(my first, and in great shape:headbang:), then after 4 hours....nothing!
Well, not nothing, 73 cents in clad, all memorial cents..... no wheats, and no zincs. Getting tired, I called "last target:, an I found a gun...:laughing7:
001.JPG002.JPG

Like I said, the scout piece is a great find for me, but I don't know if there is a way to estimate its age.....anyone know?

Thanks for looking and HH!:hello:

Upvote 11
That is wild. Maybe something old will turn up. I like the BSA slide.

Thank you for your response, yes, all pennies were between 1963 and 1979, makes no cents:laughing7:

BWD. , I'm a little confused too - It's hard to think that earlier detector guys/gals would have left the memorial cents any of which could
have been a wheat cent ,or even a worn silver dime ,or a small silver ring . (I've found each of the aforementioned in normal cent VDI )

Neat find Dave,bet you where doing some swinging after that turned up.There should be some old money around.Looks like all that modern change wore ya out before you could get to the old stuff.It's a shame they didn't loose it back then like they do now.You should give your slide a shot on the what is it forum.gl

BWD. , I'm a little confused too - It's hard to think that earlier detector guys/gals would have left the memorial cents any of which could
have been a wheat cent ,or even a worn silver dime ,or a small silver ring . (I've found each of the aforementioned in normal cent VDI )
My guess would be that either no one has hunted it before,or if it was hunted,possibly lost after?

I'm working on a Boy scout property to detect, I think it will be a great water hunt spot!
Nice neckerchief slide!

Last edited:

I am certain this has never been hunted before, with the exception of the parks and beaches, virtually every old home here in town has never been hunted.......I got this town all to myself:laughing7:...........I am sure there is more, I only hit a fraction of the property, sniper coil makes for a slow hunt.

Neat find Dave,bet you where doing some swinging after that turned up.There should be some old money around.Looks like all that modern change wore ya out before you could get to the old stuff.It's a shame they didn't loose it back then like they do now.You should give your slide a shot on the what is it forum.gl

Thanks for the advice in posting on the other forum......I have since read up on previous threads, all pretty much confirm mine is from the 60's or newer.....

My guess would be that either no one has hunted it before,or if it was hunted,possibly lost after?

Thanks for responding, certainly virgin hunting grounds, just gotta keep it low and slow when I return

I'm working on a Boy scout property to detect, I think it will be a great water hunt spot!
Nice neckerchief slide!

Yea, one would think a boy scout swimming hole would be loaded with goodies!!!

I am certain this has never been hunted before, with the exception of the parks and beaches, virtually every old home here in town has never been hunted.......I got this town all to myself:laughing7:...........I am sure there is more, I only hit a fraction of the property, sniper coil makes for a slow hunt.

It's possible one of the previous owners had a detector and hunted it and the adjacent properties him or herself. Sometimes the oldies on a private property are very localized...maybe your next trip will find the hotspot....if there's nothing deep and old, maybe there was some landscaping way back. Good luck anyway!

Cool scouts item.:thumbsup:

Sounds like a good area. Something promising is likely to turn up.

I was a Boy Scout in the early '70s and the slide is spot on what I wore (still have it in fact). That time frame also coincides with the date distribution of the cents. Maybe the area was open to scout camping in the '60s and '70s. and then closed down.

Thanks to all for your insight..... I hit it for an hour or so after work, 5 dimes, 2 nickels, 13 memorials.... and 2 wheats!!!:laughing9:

never been happier to find a 1952-D!

Neat toy gun. I bet there is something awesome hiding in that spot somewhere.

Nice finds! Congrats! There 's some silver there somewhere for you, just got to get the coil over it. GL. HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back