🥇 BANNER A bucket list find, a surprise big silver.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATED PICS

I went to a place I call zip city. It's a modern park, never expect too much and usually that's
what I get. It's a place where one can expect clad and maybe hope for a bit of bling. The hits are just regular
enough to be able to stay interested but there's not much trash. So, it's usually a nice peaceful walk.

As you can see from the bulk of the finds:

2015 (309).jpg
2015 (310).jpg

( a "no value" token)

2015 (312).jpg

This is why I call the place "zip city" :) .

2015 (311).jpg

You KNOW what my title line might have been if this had
been the best find today. ;) LOL

BUT.....

The star of the day AND of my lifetime of hunting!

I'm walking along and I get one of "THOSE" hits. You know.
89-91 in ALL directions? Plain as day? Only a couple inches down?

Some do a victory dance when they happen upon a lifetime find but I tell
you I don't do that sort of stuff. BUT....in this case....I did do my personal
version of a victory dance. Me and my ATP go into this waltz like dance! I
spin it around the hole and just listen to that sweeeeet 89-91,over and over and over! LOL

Finally I get down to business and I gave the ATP a "dip" to beat all "dips" and then dug.

Here's what I saw:

2015 (315).jpg

2015 (316).jpg

2015 (317).jpg

2015 (318).jpg

2015 (319).jpg

I've always worked with a theory.
That every place was something else before it became what it is today.
This just continues to prove my theory.

My oldest silver ever!

2015 (313).jpg 2015 (314).jpg

Before anyone attempts to rain on my parade, I did some preliminary checking. The weight and size are correct. ;)
But, even if this would prove to be something other than I think it is, it still counts. After all it is my "book" after all. LOL

Thanks for taking the time to share in my happiness!

Last edited:
Upvote 104

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all, my sincerest thanks to all responders. THAT...is the real reason I come to T-Net. To be able to share something
in my hobby with people who are as passionate about it as I am. Also, for the knowledge it encompasses.

Now, with that said, I'll attempt to answer a couple questions posed.

My "disclaimer" was put in because of what I see all too often here. It's a GREAT site! But, for my tastes, it has been much too harsh
on some. It seems to me that there are a few who take someone else's post too seriously. It seems like the whole purpose is getting one's
item "up top". And, with that being the driving force, some, not all mind you, but some seem to try too hard to disprove. It's almost as if
the thought is, that the poster is trying to "put one over" on them.

So, my disclaimer was to point out that I was on here to share a bit of the happy I was feeling and not for verification, validation or accolades. :)

Now, to the star. I've talked it over with a friend who knows coins far better than I ever will. And, even though we could be wrong since we're not perfect.
We think it's NOT a mint error coin. Rather, a regular date, double leaf. As far as getting it "graded", see above about verification. ;) LOL I have what I have and I'm perfectly happy with that, if it needs grading, I'll let the one I pass it on to, to do. :) Besides, it is in deplorable condition, numismatically speaking. LOL It has nicks and scratches,rubs, gouges, plus a bit of that "silver's disease" I've heard somebody mention, (the black tarnish spots).

Blingie has not EVEN seen this one yet! LOL

As to more pics, we have it soaking in a vat of muriatic acid, hooked to an electrolysis rig, in a ultra-sound chamber inside a microwave. As soon as the smoke clears,
I'll try to post a couple more. ;)

Again, thank you everyone for all the wonderful sharing of the moment. :)

Fantastic! Superb find and a very well written reply to comments also. You do make me smile.....and PM me if you need a new microwave, God bless!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Knowing how you feel about the " banner " and the attention seekers, I have to admit I have been chuckling all morning at this little quirk the MD gods have thrown your way. If anyone in the world deserves to find this coin, it is you. You have certainly put your time in the field, and are the first to share what you have learned. The banner is supposed to represent the good part of our hobby ~ the FINDS and not the people finding them. For this reason alone, I have to cast a banner vote for the coin.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thrilling find, definitely on my bucket list as well. It must have been especially surprising given the depth and the location. I have absolutely no doubts that the OP made this fantastic recovery. Due to the vast number of counterfeits produced in that period, however, the question of its origin seems like a reasonable conversation to have. Personally, this find would be a lifetime favorite of mine whether it is mint produced or contemporary counterfeit. Thanks for helping us re-live the thrill of the experience.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the killer find! Jealous, jealous, jealous...

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a great thread! Congrats again Whad'

Steve

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the response, Whad.

Doubters can doubt but at the end of the day, you have found something that I dream of finding. It's the reason we all do this. I look at the finds fellow members make and I drool and my jaw drops and it reminds me that there are still treasures out there to be found and the more I keep swinging, the better my chances are of finding them. The banner will be the furthest thing from my mind the day I get to share a 20 dollar gold piece or a half disme with you all.

Continued success! That is an amazing coin and thanks for being a muse!

-Jay

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, again, thanks folks for all the kind words.

I've allowed my friend to do some very careful, very minor, and VERY supervised "cleaning". He showed me how the black spots do lessen
and even go away with a bit of expertise. And I do believe that as detectorists we do indeed have a responsibility to the history and care of what
we may uncover. It just isn't right to be blessed with such wonderful finds only to ruin them. After all, 203 years under the ground is a very long time!

So, "cleaning" must be done in only extreme situations and/or to attempt to halt decay.

I told him that at least for now, the dark spots on this coin are ok. It's as far as I want to go. Maybe later I'll change my mind but for now
this coin earned it's patina and I am perfectly happy with him wearing it proudly. It is what it is and has fulfilled a wish, at least for me.

Enjoy:
2015 (322).jpg 2015 (320).jpg

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Totally awesome! I bet you were flipping out when you saw it. I dug mine a couple months ago and had it out of the hole, but under a pile of dirt. I rescanned the hole but this time it was so close to the coil I got an overload... thought it was trash... boy was I wrong. Best feeling ever digging up something like that.

Congratulations :icon_thumright:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks great!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks good to me , I'd be happy with that ! :icon_thumright:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're gonna dig big silver that has to be at or near the top of the list (and it's still on mine). Awesome recovery!!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a much better pic!!
Awsome find Gary.
My vote is going in...
Congrats on that big piece of history.

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, again, thanks folks for all the kind words.

I've allowed my friend to do some very careful, very minor, and VERY supervised "cleaning". He showed me how the black spots do lessen
and even go away with a bit of expertise. And I do believe that as detectorists we do indeed have a responsibility to the history and care of what
we may uncover. It just isn't right to be blessed with such wonderful finds only to ruin them. After all, 203 years under the ground is a very long time!

So, "cleaning" must be done in only extreme situations and/or to attempt to halt decay.

I told him that at least for now, the dark spots on this coin are ok. It's as far as I want to go. Maybe later I'll change my mind but for now
this coin earned it's patina and I am perfectly happy with him wearing it proudly. It is what it is and has fulfilled a wish, at least for me.

Enjoy:
View attachment 1173351 View attachment 1173352
Nice job on the cleaning she looks beautiful congrats again...

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my favorite of all the posts I've read for quite some time. Great story and great follow-up with the light cleaning process. I am happy for you that you have recovered a great coin that has been lost to time. Congratulations

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a much better pic!!
Awsome find Gary.
My vote is going in...
Congrats on that big piece of history.

Thank God he finally, after all day, got your blessing, I bet he feels so much better now. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread