What's new

A cool rock or what?

baylorhall

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
899
Reaction score
154
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in a creek and it has always been my favorite rock. I think it looks like a cross with a crown at the top. There are indentions in the shape of a cross and it kind of looks like a crown at the top. Is it just a cool rock or some kind of Indian artifact? Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • rock.webp
    rock.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 490
  • rock.webp
    rock.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 470
I think you should post it in the Indian artifact section and see what they think. This is not my area of expertise, but it looks to be some type of N.A. hammer or tomahawk because of the attachment grooves. Nice find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
How big is it? If not artifact then maybe a fossil like sea urchin :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
It's almost two inches across. One person suggested that it was used as a fishing weight and that the ties wore into the stone. I just don't know.
 
Upvote 0
It's a geo fact. A very cool looking natural rock. I would keep it as your favorite rock regardless.
TnMtns
 
Upvote 0
The figure reminds me of a Thunderbird
Thunderbird_on_Totem_Pole.webp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbird_(mythology)

I'm no expert, but it's difficult to think of this stone as naturally formed and decorated :dontknow:
Has it been put in the Indian Artifact Forum?
Mike
 
Upvote 0
It does sort of look like a thunderbird. Yes, it is there also.
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
The figure reminds me of a Thunderbird


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbird_(mythology)

I'm no expert, but it's difficult to think of this stone as naturally formed and decorated :dontknow:
Has it been put in the Indian Artifact Forum?
Mike
Totem looks Haida. Is it?

Thunderbird was not a mythological creature. It existed along the Columbia River, and was called that because it would dive from high above then pull out, causing a thunderous clap. Actually, it is nonexistent along the Columbia now, and most of the US for that matter. Now called California condor.
 
Upvote 0
Really hard to say for sure. If it is natural, the design is very strangely symmetrical. I am cautious about calling rocks artifacts, but this one makes me think someone made the design. Coincidentally, I was at a petroglyph site today and the design looks like some that I saw there. Whether is is natural or man-shaped it is very cool! I would hang onto it too.

-Mike-
 
Upvote 0
I downloaded some pictures of the petroglyphs and some of the signs that showed you what to look for. You'll see that there are several images that have heads shaped like pattern on your rock. Also, the down swept "arms" look like several of the images.

0731001036.jpg


0731001035a.jpg


0731001035.jpg


0731001023.jpg


-Mike-
 
Upvote 0
These have been great responses! Thanks, Mike for the pictures. I am growing more and more interested in my little rock! :)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom