What's new

✅ SOLVED Please help ID a nearly oval shape rock w/ a beveled edge all the way around

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2017
Messages
2,321
Reaction score
3,899
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Other
While hiking a local trail in SW Ohio looking for flint I found this rock on top of the ground. The nearly oval shape and beveled edge all the way around caught my attention. It has lots of tiny black specs (mica?) on the surface. What type of rock is it? Do you think the shape is natural or did a human work on it?
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    208.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 8
Looks natural to me.

Natural formation of what looks like sedimentary rock of some kind. What is the hardness like on it?

I'm certainly NO EXPERT but to me it appears to be a natural stone !
All, thanks for commenting. When found, I too was leaning towards natural, but w/ the beveled edge on all sides I thought someone was trying to make a scraper out of it. Marked as SOLVED.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a schist to me which isn’t ideal for making tools, but I think you’re right to pick it up because of that shape, but schist wouldn’t show work very well, so toss it and keep looking!
 
Upvote 0
Ah schist, I couldn't resist! Will definitely keep looking...
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom