A “DELMARVA ADENA” MORTUARY COMPLEX AT PIG POINT, MARYLAND

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Accidentally came across this recently and thought some may find it interesting, especially those with an interest in the Adena culture,like myself.

"the extensive presence of elaborate Ohio Valley artifactual materials at a small number of mortuary sites in Delaware and Maryland."

http://www.losttownsproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/2013---A-Delmarva-Adena-Mortuary-Complex-at-Pig-Point.pdf

Upvote 0
I live in Maryland iv read a lot about this site , there was very interesting practices going on do a long time there.

Had the opportunity to see a collection of another site about 5 miles away. Pretty awesome sight. Was able to walk some of the fields but they were not plowed at the time. Unfortunately some family members of the farm didn’t like that one family member gave me permission so I was never able to go back. The river this is on has loads of documented sites from John Smiths original map of the Chesapeake. It was just cool seeing some of his personal finds plus the stories. I brought my son and the owner planted one point for my son to find.... at least he left with a smile on his face.

Last edited:
It has been a while since I have read any of the reports from that site complex, but what sticks in my mind about it the most was the finding of numerous triangular points in context dating to a couple thousand years BC, adding further proof that in this general area at least, they are not just mid to late Woodland and contact era styles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back