What's new

A detectorist was here....

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
1,927
Reaction score
62
Golden Thread
0
Location
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was at a library yesterday looking for a specific newspaper article.

The Carnegie Library's main branch in Oakland has a room for Pennsylvania history. Very cool... :thumbsup:

After my research for the article was done, I just browsed thru the bookshelves, marveling at all the historical records that have been added since the years passed that I visited last.

The books that really caught my attention were in binders, very worn, dirty.....obviously thumbed thru many, many times. The edges of some sections were blackened from dirty hands.

It was a book from the "Playground Committee", dating back to the early 1900's.

I never knew there was a committee for such things...especially back then.

There were maps of all the playgrounds in the Pittsburgh area and had pictures of some of them.

I'm guessing by the conditions of these binders...detector reasearchers have paged through them many, many times.

Guess where I WON'T be detecting......lol

Research works both ways....find some good places to detect...eliminate others.

Al
 
deepskyal said:
Research works both ways....find some good places to detect...eliminate others.
Al

Yeah, some libraries have a good amount of material on local history.
Most of the time, it's in a special reference room, and you can't take it out.
But man you can learn alot from it.
Take a good digital camera, just in case you decide you need to remember something!!
 
I wouldn't be too hasty to cross off anything from your list of potential hunting grounds. I just went to a park that I know has been visited by the local MD club and found the most amount of clad I had ever found in one day, plus a sterling silver and turquoise ring. Only a few coins were on the surface; the ring was about 2 inches down.
 
Al,

The Pennsylvania room is awesome. Great place. I will be there is April doing some research. I might see you there. If we meet, I'll buy lunch.
 
RON (PA) said:
Al,

The Pennsylvania room is awesome. Great place. I will be there is April doing some research. I might see you there. If we meet, I'll buy lunch.

Primanti's... Yummmmmm!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom