Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to fish a quarry se Kansas, up high in the landscape never exposed to flooding, as far as Iā€™ve caught itā€™s got perch, blue gill, crappie, large mouth and I think catfish although I havenā€™t landed oneā€¦ I didnā€™t see this one personally but the people I was with took a picture of a ā€œhugeā€ fish they said the size of an otter. It almost has to be a cat but it sure doesnā€™t look like it any fisherman familiar with fish like this?
56EB22D6-D238-44F2-92CB-A8A4E1FD3D2A.jpeg

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well update: I tried to go out in a boat, I went with a cheap light boat we had around so I could just throw it in the back of the truck, i had never used that one but was told it works just a little leaky. Got out there and it did leak a little but wasnā€™t worried about sinking, brought my coffee can if I needed it, I tried to sit in the back but the boat was so light front came way up and I was inches from flooding I couldnā€™t really fish well kneeling in the middle so I stood, it was a little like trying to stand on a skateboard but I managed to float across the pond and cast some and also look it was so clear I could pretty much see the entire bottom side to side. I got to the end and tried to turn to go back and the wind was pushing me going that direction so I had to paddle harder and that made the boat more unstable and with the leak the water was amplifying my corrections for balance. At one point it got me and I lost my balance and tried to fall/sit on the bench at the back. That was enough to cause the back to go under and I flipped out of the back like a diver hahaā€¦ then after I gathered my stuff I got to fish for my paddle which had floated awayā€¦ needless to say being such a small pond I probably spooked any large fishā€¦ I did see a large fish after I righted the boat and went to paddling on my knees but it didnā€™t look as long as the picture and had a much more rounded body, Iā€™m 90% it was a nice sized bass make 10 lbs or soā€¦ donā€™t think Iā€™ll be solving this mystery this weekend but Iā€™ll probably keep trying, next time in a better boat.

Upvote 1

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote is for a Gar. In the 60's my Dad cleaned out farm ponds w/a dozer. I'd catch small fish as he drained the water out of the pond and take them to new ponds. I got a lot of fish out of ponds that had never been stocked. Good luck.
Same thing I was thinking šŸ¤˜
Mmmm,gar balls

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread