A Dig and a Dive produces 1700s bottle and musket piece +++

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I finally pulled myself away from doing work around the house and other tasks for a little dirt digging and diving. Yesterday I got out with my buddy Rick and hit some mowed fields and one deep plowed field that shows some real promise once it gets flattened out. Got up an 1823 Nova Scotia half Penny, one blank half penny, some buttons and a beatuful musket trigger gaurd. Rick got the find of the day with an awesome piece of silver but I'll let him tell you about that.
Today I went for a dive with some of the Zodiac Divers and after scrubing our first site due to sea state we hit another wreck that went down in the mid 1700's. Years ago I got a complete Straffordshire Slipware dish from this site and today I got a complete Mallot bottle. This type of bottle was in production from 1720s to 1780s, we know the wreck went down in 1750s so it fits with the site.

And it displays very nicely with the plate.

20140701_185922.jpg 20140701_185613.jpg

This makes ZDD very happy.

DAVE Bottle2.JPG

HH, ZDD

Attachments

• 20140701_161018.jpg
    20140701_161018.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 234
  • 20140701_173702.jpg
    20140701_173702.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 25
OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey buddy I missed this great post. That bottle is incredible! My boss had his gear out the other day and hopefully things slow down enough at work so I can get certified and get my ass in the drink. We've got so many shipwrecks off our rocky coastline. It's gotta be such a thrill pulling a complete piece from the depths. Awesome stuff man
Thanks Abe, it is always a big thrill to discover something like that.
Shipwrecks....too many to count.
ZDD

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those bottles! That dish is a beauty too!! Congrats!

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow. It's great to see sets come together that bring such history from the life and times of the sailing man. Nice work! :occasion14:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunatly it was full of salt water, I was hoping I found the rum locker but not so.

Drink that stuff, and you'll turn into a pirate!

One of my prize finds is a silver dollar sized chunk of bottle from Port Royal. Looked down, and there it was.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. It's great to see sets come together that bring such history from the life and times of the sailing man. Nice work! :occasion14:
Cool Avatar there Frisco, what's the story?
ZDD

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drink that stuff, and you'll turn into a pirate!

One of my prize finds is a silver dollar sized chunk of bottle from Port Royal. Looked down, and there it was.
Port Royal, Jamaca would be just the type of diving that I love. Forget the fish and coral, show me the bottles, silver and gold.
ZDD

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am really liking that plate. It's in excellent condition.
It is amazing that it survived close to 250 years on the bottom with out even the slightest chip.
here is a pic of the bottom of the plate.
20140707_190653.jpg

and the side edge
20140707_190713.jpg

Thanks for your comments.
ZDD

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi ZDD,

I'm glad you asked! My avatar is a portion of this painting-
Priscilla.jpg
I grew up on Hatteras Island, NC, and this painting depicts the 1899 rescue of the the crew of the barkentine Priscilla off Hatteras Island by Surfman Rasmus Midgett, who single-handedly rescued, with no aid or lifeboat, ten men from the wreck in the dead of night during a hurricane. A link to the story here- Rasmus Midgett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
:hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions