A Dig and a Dive produces 1700s bottle and musket piece +++

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I finally pulled myself away from doing work around the house and other tasks for a little dirt digging and diving. Yesterday I got out with my buddy Rick and hit some mowed fields and one deep plowed field that shows some real promise once it gets flattened out. Got up an 1823 Nova Scotia half Penny, one blank half penny, some buttons and a beatuful musket trigger gaurd. Rick got the find of the day with an awesome piece of silver but I'll let him tell you about that.
Today I went for a dive with some of the Zodiac Divers and after scrubing our first site due to sea state we hit another wreck that went down in the mid 1700's. Years ago I got a complete Straffordshire Slipware dish from this site and today I got a complete Mallot bottle. This type of bottle was in production from 1720s to 1780s, we know the wreck went down in 1750s so it fits with the site.

And it displays very nicely with the plate.

20140701_185922.jpg 20140701_185613.jpg

This makes ZDD very happy.

DAVE Bottle2.JPG

HH, ZDD

Attachments

• 20140701_161018.jpg
    20140701_161018.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 234
  • 20140701_173702.jpg
    20140701_173702.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 25
OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave - that bottle is awesome, but that plate is amazing!! Those are some incredible artifacts and I'm glad you were able to rescue them. How far down did you have to dive to recover them?
Thanks Bill, I am very glad that they didn't succumb to the power of the North Atlantic. We have a possible hurricane set to hit us on the weekend that could have did it in. This site is very shallow, less then 30 ft., a nice easy dive for us, the hard part was putting up with the heat on the surface while still in the dry suit. Must have lost 10lbs.
ZDD

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Bill, I am very glad that they didn't succumb to the power of the North Atlantic. We have a possible hurricane set to hit us on the weekend that could have did it in. This site is very shallow, less then 30 ft., a nice easy dive for us, the hard part was putting up with the heat on the surface while still in the dry suit. Must have lost 10lbs.
ZDD

Dave - that same storm will be brushing by us (I hope) late Thurs into early Fri, and I'm trying to figure out where the best place to hunt would be after the erosion takes place. You guys may get a more direct hit up your way, so batten down the hatches. Hope your shipwreck site is not damaged or destroyed.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave - that same storm will be brushing by us (I hope) late Thurs into early Fri, and I'm trying to figure out where the best place to hunt would be after the erosion takes place. You guys may get a more direct hit up your way, so batten down the hatches. Hope your shipwreck site is not damaged or destroyed.
Bill, if I were you I would head out with your buddy Dan, looks like he has a good site to be check following the storm. Maybe a hole bunch of cobs there, who knows Captain Kidds treasure.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the bottle Dave, I love it! I save all the necks and bases form those bottles, but don't expect to ever find a complete one!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bottle congrats! The ocean sand took good care of that one!

We have a hurricane headed up it may uncover more for you to find this weekend! GL. HH!

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the bottle Dave, I love it! I save all the necks and bases form those bottles, but don't expect to ever find a complete one!
there are some found by privy diggers down your neck of the woods, never say never.
HH,
ZDD

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet mallot, and the plate is gorgeous!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE MALLET :thumbsup:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle was empty? ???

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ZDD - Black glass mallot, slipware plate, and a trigger guard in the past two days??? You are on a roll! Diving for such quality glass and ceramics must be a real thrill. Congrats on some fantastic finds! What the deal with Barry Clifford's book in the background? Ambiance? I worked for Barry Clifford on the Whydah back in 1988-89. :skullflag::skullflag::skullflag: It was a heck of a time - lots of fun.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey buddy I missed this great post. That bottle is incredible! My boss had his gear out the other day and hopefully things slow down enough at work so I can get certified and get my ass in the drink. We've got so many shipwrecks off our rocky coastline. It's gotta be such a thrill pulling a complete piece from the depths. Awesome stuff man

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ZDD - Black glass mallot, slipware plate, and a trigger guard in the past two days??? You are on a roll! Diving for such quality glass and ceramics must be a real thrill. Congrats on some fantastic finds! What the deal with Barry Clifford's book in the background? Ambiance? I worked for Barry Clifford on the Whydah back in 1988-89. :skullflag::skullflag::skullflag: It was a heck of a time - lots of fun.
Purely Ambiance, one of my diving buddies loaned me the book that day so I thought I would include it in the pic. as it fits (almost) with Capt. Kidds time. Must have been one big thrill to be working on the Whydah back then, I remember reading about the discovery back in the day.
ZDD

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome bottle my friend! Love the dive finds - you should have some good grounds in another day or so.
Yea these storms can really stir up the bottom, you should be hitting that Cob beach of yours soon too, bet ya come up with a few more.
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread