A Few Scouting Missions

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My life has been pretty damn crazy lately! Got done with my job and am starting my own business. Having a bunch of stonework done at my house and my driveway paved. I've also had family in town and issues with my truck. Ok now that I've got my sob story out there for all of my Tnet buddies I'll get to a few random finds.
I have been doing lots of research at might and have found lots of new sites to explore. So I've basically headed out just to see if I could locate some old homesteads and basically just crank on my detector to see how trashy they are and what coil I should bring on a return trip. I've found 8 or 10 colonial foundations and one from the 1600s. One place in particular has got me pretty intrigued. It was a sea captains home and it's located on the top of a hill with a beautiful foundation. I was there for maybe 15 minutes and found my first thimble (crushed) and a broken Crotal bell. Interestingly my mom told me that I'm a descendant of this guy. The thimble has a monogram on it but it's in rough shape. The Indian head is proof that even the worst looking coins have potential my favorite find is the shoe buckle piece. My buddy says everyone has a "thing" that they're good at finding. Mine is apparently shoe buckles and buckle pieces. I believe I've found 3 complete and a few frames and lots of parts.
Anyway I hope all of my Tnet friends are doing well and I really hope you all have more time than this guy. All the best, Abe
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 11

Bob207

Jul 4, 2014
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/AT Pro
Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the thimble. I was looking at them online and came across an article that said puritans weren't big on jewelry and when a man proposed, he gave her a thimble. After they got married the rim of the thimble was often cut off and worn as a wedding ring. A tradition that lasted into the late 1800's. And I just thought they were for sewing lol. You have made some fantastic finds! Keep up the good work!

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I would be living at those sites. That shoe buckle frame is awesome. It's pretty cool to be able to dig items belonging to your own family. Hope you find time soon to get back and see what else is around

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I would be living at those sites. That shoe buckle frame is awesome. It's pretty cool to be able to dig items belonging to your own family. Hope you find time soon to get back and see what else is around
Oh how I wish I had more time. I have some awesome sites that are just waiting for me. I think I'm gonna get out tomorrow morning in the rain. The beauty is that most of my sites are tough to get to so the lazy ones and the ones that don't do the research will NEVER find these places.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the thimble. I was looking at them online and came across an article that said puritans weren't big on jewelry and when a man proposed, he gave her a thimble. After they got married the rim of the thimble was often cut off and worn as a wedding ring. A tradition that lasted into the late 1800's. And I just thought they were for sewing lol. You have made some fantastic finds! Keep up the good work!
Cool info Bob. I had no idea. This thimble is actually monogrammed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread