What's new

A few strange rocks from a cornfield, Have to be Native American something.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2007
Messages
1,619
Reaction score
1,028
Golden Thread
0
Location
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They all seem "worked" in one way or another, The 4inch black chert fits in the hand perfectly as a tool for something, The last one seems to be a spear point, the others i imagine are tools maybe? I have found smaller arrowheads, but these are much larger.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0111.webp
    IMG_0111.webp
    82.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0112.webp
    IMG_0112.webp
    66.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0120.webp
    IMG_0120.webp
    44.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0113.webp
    IMG_0113.webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0114.webp
    IMG_0114.webp
    32.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0117.webp
    IMG_0117.webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0118.webp
    IMG_0118.webp
    39.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0121.webp
    IMG_0121.webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0123.webp
    IMG_0123.webp
    50.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0124.webp
    IMG_0124.webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 72
Nice stuff! :icon_thumright:
You have a good eye for man-made lithics!
Just about all seem to be, save one or two.
I'd have to see how the parent rocks fracture, first,
to tell, but........
 
Upvote 0
Most look good I’d say cores or choppers
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my opinion, the larger black piece could be a quarry blank but I have my doubts. The smaller black piece could have been used as a scraper. The rest are naturally formed rocks.
 
Upvote 0
I would probably call the large black one a hand axe, the others don't appear to be useful
 
Upvote 0
They could have been "worked more recently." Can you bring them to a geologist for an opinion?
 
Upvote 0
The black material looks to me like Esopus chert. Here's one made from Esopus from the net. Gary

esopus chert ny.webp
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom