1.8 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5413.JPG
    IMG_5413.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5414.JPG
    IMG_5414.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Here is an update: I've not yet found a living relative of Cpl. Horace Astin.

Phone calls made to people with the surname of Astin in Burnley and Poulton Le Fylde: After several tries, about half answered their phones. None had heard of Horace, Edith, or Enid – much less being related to them.

St. Peters Church: Waiting for Fr. Andrew Holmes to reply with any information they found.

PHH Solicitors: Received a reply from Helen Springthorpe’s secretary saying that she has no info on a next of kin.

Blackpool England FamilySearch Centre: Despite repeated emails no replies received. No phone number found – so unable to call.

Inner Wheel: Despite sending multiple emails I never heard back from the Enid Astin that belongs to the Elland Chapter.

Lancashire Telegraph newspaper: Emailed the story & picture to the Chief Reporter hoping they’d run it with a request for a relative to get in touch with them. Waiting to get their reply.

Police: Considering contacting the police in Burnley and Poulton Le Fylde. They may know of some people with the surname Astin that do not appear in the phone book.

Coldstream Guard Association: My contact was concerned that if they accept the fork as a donation from Salerno 1943, it would get lost among all the other artifacts they have. I replied that if a next of kin could not be found and both the association and Salerno 1943 agreed, I’d be willing to put the fork in a display case along with Cpl. Horace Astin’s story (similar to that pictured) and it donate to them. That would help preserve Horace’s memory and not be so easily lost. Time will tell.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 2
Here is an update: I've not yet found a living relative of Cpl. Horace Astin. Attached is a summary sent to Matteo to share with his friend in the UK, who I hope will continue the search.

Attachments

• Summary for Matteo contact in the UK - 20240227.pdf
    211.2 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 1
Kudos to Red-Coat for giving me some good advice.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back