What's new

A Half cent and the amazing shrinking quarter (pics included)

GMan00001

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
2,539
Reaction score
228
Golden Thread
0
Location
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I was cashing yesterday at one of the local self serve coin machines, the machine's bin filled. And as I have recently learned about the reject slot on the inside of the machine, I start asking if I can clean it out for them. Usually just foreign coins, but since they just throw the stuff out, they don't seem to care. Well, when she opened up the machine, the reject bucket was pretty full, so rather than pick through the dust and grime at the bank, I decided to just dump the whole thing into my canvas bag and just search through it when I got home.

First, here is a picture of the everything from the reject bucket after all the coins had been removed (The pop can is there for scale):
Scraps.webp

Next a picture of the coins that were removed:
coins.webp

The weirdest thing in my opinion was finding the amazing shrinking quarter:
Shrinking quarter.webp

And the half cent:
Half Cent.webp


Ended up with:
20 US coins (13 pennies, 2 nickels, 5 dimes)
38 Foreign coins
Austria, 1 Euro Cent (2002(2)),
Brazil, 1 Centavo (1998, 1999),
Cayman Islands, 1 Cent (1992, 2002(2), 2005),
France, 1 Euro Cent (1999, 2004),
Germany, 1 Pfennig (1977-J, 1983-D, 1990-G, 1994-A),
Germany, 1 Euro Cent (2002-F, 2002-G, 2004-A),
Iceland, 1 Eyrir (1953),
Ireland, 1 Euro Cent (2002, 2005),
Italy, 1 Euro Cent (2002),
Jamaica, 10 Cents (2003),
Mexico, 5 Pesos (1985(2)),
Netherlands, 1 Cent (1957),
Netherlands, 10 Cents (1962),
Netherlands, 1 Euro Cent (1999, 2001(3)),
Phillipines, 10 Sentimo (2006),
Poland, 1 Grosz (1998),
Portugal, 1 Euro Cent (2002, 2005),
South Africa, 1 Cent (1993),
Spain, 1 Euro Cent (2005),
Sweden, 1 Ore (1955),
Turkey, 1 Kurus (1975))

3 Transit tokens:
1 Lowell Regional Transit Token
2 Toronto Transit Tokens

Oddities
1 tiny quarter
1 mini quarter
1 Ireland, 1 Penny (1822) Copy
 
Upvote 0
Re: A Half cent and the amazing shrinking quarter (pics included) 05-16-2008

Also picked up $5 in loose halves with 1 - 40% Kennedy (1968-D)
and 2 Eisenhower Dollars (1972 Variety 3, 1974-D)
 
Re: A Half cent and the amazing shrinking quarter (pics included) 05-16-2008

GMan00001 said:
Also picked up $5 in loose halves with 1 - 40% Kennedy (1968-D)
and 2 Eisenhower Dollars (1972 Variety 3, 1974-D)
\

In the reject bucket ????
 
HaHa! Good stuff there Gman! Is'nt it amazing(and kinda nasty) the stuff that ends up in the reject tray? The guy at my grocery store opened up the coinstar machine and let me clean out the reject tray the other day. I did'nt want to just try to pick out the coins, so I just grabbed coins, lint, sticky stuff, short and curly's, and threw it all in my bag. First thing when I got back to my truck, was to grab the wet-wipes and scrub ;D ;D...Good luck and HH to ya, Gpurs....
 
That's how I scored the silver 3 center earlier in the year, from one of the inner reject bins in a coin counter. Cool quarter trick ya got goin on there though!
 
very nice

HH
-GC
 
Re: A Half cent and the amazing shrinking quarter (pics included) 05-16-2008

coinmojo said:
GMan00001 said:
Also picked up $5 in loose halves with 1 - 40% Kennedy (1968-D)
and 2 Eisenhower Dollars (1972 Variety 3, 1974-D)
\

In the reject bucket ????

no those I had to ask for. :) sorry for the confustion.
 
Ha Ha!
That's great GMan!
Plastic little quarters?
I get quite a few Ikes in those inside reject bins.
 
TXTim said:
Ha Ha!
That's great GMan!
Plastic little quarters?
I get quite a few Ikes in those inside reject bins.

Funny thing is these weren't plastic quarters, they were metal. Kinda curious if the smallest one is considered counterfeit as I couldn't find the word "COPY" on it anywhere (even using magnification).... not that anyone would confuse it for a real quarter, but more the thought.
 
Those quarters are amazing.......that's the first time I have ever seen anything like that.

Congrats on all of those foreign too.

That junk from the reject bucket is also amazing.....so much trash!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom