What's new

A little help needed.

wayne91101

Full Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2013
Messages
146
Reaction score
58
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vesta Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO with 8.5X11" COIL AND COVER,Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Garrett PRO Pointer,Lesche digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am fairley new to this and I have info on a battle ground and plan to go hunt it soon. I have a AT PRO and I am just wondering what to listen for when hunting these kind of sites. I dont want to go home empty handed, I need to know what a old shot bullet will show up on the number scale as and what I need to listen for when hunting a battle ground. So any help with this would be a great help. Thanks and H.H.
 
I would dig any solid repeatable signal. A lead bullet is usually between 30's and 40's on my pro I think.
 
Thanks. what signal would you stop to dig in a war site? sorry to ask but I am going this weekend so any help will be great.
Thank you !
I would dig any solid repeatable signal. A lead bullet is usually between 30's and 40's on my pro I think.
 
When you search a place like this you have to change your definition of what "junk" is. Will there be pull tabs and bottle caps? Is this a place people tend to picnic at now? We go and hunt places where people have been. People tend to (1) lose things and (2) throw things away. Some of what was junk during the CW is a treasure now.

Start by digging almost everything until you define the site. I agree with the solid hits idea. We all sometimes get a hit on one swing, then can't get it to repeat. Those I would ignore. But if your MD sings out everytime you get a hit, especially that double sound bell tone, dig it up.

If you can see that there is a specific type of trash you want to avoid, you can start ignoring that kind of signal.

Finally, you just never really know until you dig. A Civil War site is very special. Err on the side of digging too much. You are looking for metal that has been in the ground about 150 years. There will be a lot of mineralization. That can mess with your discriminator's mind and that will mess with yours.

Have a great time as you walk Hallowed Ground. Respect those who fell there. Please report back and let us know what you found.
 
Thank you! That is what I was looking for! A great expanation. Thanks again and I will post picks if any when I get to. If you live in an RV you need to get over here and hit this area. Lots of history here in Georgia.
When you search a place like this you have to change your definition of what "junk" is. Will there be pull tabs and bottle caps? Is this a place people tend to picnic at now? We go and hunt places where people have been. People tend to (1) lose things and (2) throw things away. Some of what was junk during the CW is a treasure now.

Start by digging almost everything until you define the site. I agree with the solid hits idea. We all sometimes get a hit on one swing, then can't get it to repeat. Those I would ignore. But if your MD sings out everytime you get a hit, especially that double sound bell tone, dig it up.

If you can see that there is a specific type of trash you want to avoid, you can start ignoring that kind of signal.

Finally, you just never really know until you dig. A Civil War site is very special. Err on the side of digging too much. You are looking for metal that has been in the ground about 150 years. There will be a lot of mineralization. That can mess with your discriminator's mind and that will mess with yours.

Have a great time as you walk Hallowed Ground. Respect those who fell there. Please report back and let us know what you found.
 
Thank you! That is what I was looking for! A great expanation. Thanks again and I will post picks if any when I get to. If you live in an RV you need to get over here and hit this area. Lots of history here in Georgia.

I lived in North Florida a long time ago and have spent time in southern Georgia. I have passed through the north part of the state, but never stayed there. Many of the battlefield sites, like Kennesaw Mountain, are closed to our efforts but I like to remember that many thousands of men had to travel to get to those sites. Sherman's army went from Chattanooga to Savannah and then north. I am sure they lost items by the thousands all along the way. Good luck with your hunts.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom