A "looting history" article thats worth a read

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
A "looting history" article that's worth a read

This article hits most of the bases, from true looters and legal treasure/artifact hunters to buyers and collectors. It also touches on various aspects of the laws that cover the finding, recovery and sale of artifacts. Though it focuses on Native American Indian sites and artifacts, a lot of it could cover anything deemed an historical site by applying the logic to artifacts left by Cortez, Lewis and Clark, William Bradford and others. There's even a comment in the article that is reminiscent of the way moonshiners operated. And while I don't support those who dig on public land, I fully support those who dig on private property and believe they should receive market value for their finds. To that end, I think the best way to do that while preserving history is for the collectors and buyers to team up with the archaeologists and universities by pooling their resources to fund digs while still getting market value for the finds to the land owner. Unfortunately, archaeologists and universities don't like the idea of private collectors, and despite saying that this history belongs to everyone they end up with drawers and rooms full of artifacts that never see the light of day and oftne end up not benefitting anyone.

http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=5727828
Looters ravage ruins to sell pottery, heirlooms on black market

PHOENIX -- In the dead of night, looters are destroying the history of America, desecrating sacred Indian ruins.

An estimated 80 percent of the nation's ancient archaeological sites have been plundered or robbed by shovel-toting looters. Though some of the pillaging is done by amateurs who don't know any better, more serious damage is wrought by professionals who dig deep, sometimes even using backhoes.

The motive is money. Indian artifacts are coveted worldwide by collectors willing to pay for trophy pieces of the past.

Looters are just the first link in a chain that includes collectors, galleries, trade shows and Internet sites such as eBay. But stopping the black-market business is virtually impossible because of a lack of manpower for enforcement and loopholes in the law that make it hard to convict the few who get caught.

The result is a scientific and spiritual loss.

"They're changing history," Vernelda Grant, a tribal archaeologist for the San Carlos Apaches, says as she stands amid 800-year-old ruins that have been transformed into a crater field. "They're killing us. They're killing the existence of who we are."

Garry Cantley, an archaeologist with the Bureau of Indian Affairs, does not share the mysticism; he lives for empirical discoveries, the piece-by-piece puzzle of history, the cultural window. But, like Grant, he is sickened by the damage.

"The problem is, they don't make these anymore," Cantley says, surveying the field of foxholes. "The archaeological records are finite. And, once they're gone, history is gone."

The San Carlos Reservation covers 1.8 million acres of high desert, pine forest, canyon lands and archaeological sites _ a wilderness patrolled by 10 rangers who spend most of their time protecting game and fish.

In May, a report by the National Trust for Historic Preservation concluded that artifact hunters, off-roaders, urban sprawl and vandals are "robbing the nation" of cultural resources.

Warren Youngman, assistant BIA special agent in charge for Arizona, shrugs when asked how many looters are working tribal lands: "There's a lot of wide-open spaces, and we don't have the manpower to cover it. We'll never know."

Until this year, the BIA, with policing oversight for 561 recognized tribes nationwide, had just one investigator assigned exclusively to looting. The agent, John Fryar, retired this year and was not replaced.

"I just barely scratched the surface, frankly," says Fryar, now living in New Mexico. "One person was definitely not enough."

The lack of enforcement is true across a nation peppered with ancient settlements in national forests, federal parks, BLM lands, military bases and state turf. Just two investigators work Arizona trust lands covering 9 million acres. BLM officers cover more than a million acres each.

Meanwhile, it is sheer guesswork as to what percentage of ruins have been looted.

A 2002 report on federal lands in the remote Four Corners area put the figure at 32 percent. Archaeologists and enforcement officers generally estimate that eight of 10 Southwest sites have been robbed or damaged.

Using a GPS device, a professional digger can read the landscape and quickly map out a 1,000-year-old village that has eroded into the earth.

Some ruins resemble minefields, full of holes and dirt piles.

Cantley, the BIA archaeologist, says hard-core looters school themselves in archaeology and zealously defend their right to dig.

"These guys know archaeological sites as well as the experts," he says. "For many of them, it's a generational thing. They did it with their fathers and grandfathers, and they think it's a God-given right."

The commercial value is based on uniqueness, artistry and preservation. A plain Navajo bowl may bring $100. A good polychrome pot from the Salado people fetches $5,000. Ancient Hopi yellow-ware pottery may be worth $80,000.

Looters get to know buyers by visiting shows, sharing contacts and researching artifacts. They offer their finest merchandise to wealthy collectors who pay top dollar for one-of-a-kind items in pristine condition. More modest objects are sold to galleries.

If prosecuting looters is difficult, bringing charges against black-market buyers is nearly impossible, because authorities must prove that the collector knew artifacts had been looted.

Simply put, it is legal to unearth archaeological relics on private property, except burial sites. It is also legal to purchase items from others who have obtained them lawfully or by inheritance. And it is legal to buy contemporary art _ bowls, baskets, kachinas _ that resemble antiquities.

Even when thieves are caught at a dig, court rulings may insulate them. In 2003, two men used a winch to haul rare petroglyph boulders from Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest in Nevada. They were found guilty of theft but acquitted on a looting charge. Then the convictions were overturned in June because, judges ruled, federal agents could not prove the defendants knew they were stealing something of archaeological worth.

Sherry Hutt, a former Maricopa County judge who now oversees a National Park Service program to protect Indian burial relics, said the ruling means that only archaeologists who violate the law face prosecution, because they are the only ones who know the scientific value of artifacts.

As the monetary value of antiquities grows, the spiritual and scientific values remain incalculable.

Grant, the Apache archaeologist, wants her remains buried beneath a traditional rock mound in the high country so their spirit will not be stranded. She says the pillaging of sacred objects is a gut-wrenching assault on the forefathers, on sacred land.

"But how can you prove that in a court or in our archaeological surveys or lab forms?" Grant asks. "It's very difficult ... Even some of our tribal members don't believe it. But I believe, because I've seen it and I feel it."

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
Re: A "looting history" article that's worth a read

I know of sites that archaeologist have no Funding to do anything but let the developers cover up the site with Malls and Parking lots or 1/2 to 1 million dollars Homes. I KNOW that some MD'ers would help them for free, just for the adventure and fun and fellowship, if the archaeologist would ask. But they don't ask. Why? Is it beneath them and all their (Public assisted Funded) LEARNing that makes it beneath them to ask the MD Hobby Community for help? I know some digs that they Pay college students to do the dig and the results are questionable from my viewpoint. I have seen some that are more intersted in getting a sun tan. Of thousands of "DIGS" does anyone know if the archaeologist ever find coin caches or something else of great value, or just the usual broken bottles, broken pottery and maybe a axe head that they display?

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

musstag said:
Of thousands of "DIGS" does anyone know if the archaeologist ever find coin caches or something else of great value, or just the usual broken bottles, broken pottery and maybe a axe head that they display?

I wouldn't use the word "just" to describe the bottles, broken pottery and stone tools. An archaeologist is primarily interested in learning about the cultures behind the artifacts and those are some of the more important items, along with general garbage that can provide the answers. What you throw out pretty much tells your life story more accurately than words or pictures. If you don't mind getting a little dirty or handling disgusting things, pick a random neighbor near you and snatch their trash bags every week for a month. Then pick through the trash, itemizing and cataloging everything you find. You'd be surprised at the information you get about them. Archaeologists frequently find coin caches in Europe, Asia and the Middle East because they have metal histories that stretch back thousands of years. Finds like that are less frequent in North, Central and South America because coins didn't exist here prior to Columbus' arrival. But I agree with your other comments about the nature of archaeologists. They are often secretive, hiding their finds from their own colleagues in order to enhance their own standing and ego.

Zobex

Jun 27, 2006

MiddenMonster said:
musstag said:
Of thousands of "DIGS" does anyone know if the archaeologist ever find coin caches or something else of great value, or just the usual broken bottles, broken pottery and maybe a axe head that they display?

I wouldn't use the word "just" to describe the bottles, broken pottery and stone tools. An archaeologist is primarily interested in learning about the cultures behind the artifacts and those are some of the more important items, along with general garbage that can provide the answers. What you throw out pretty much tells your life story more accurately than words or pictures. If you don't mind getting a little dirty or handling disgusting things, pick a random neighbor near you and snatch their trash bags every week for a month. Then pick through the trash, itemizing and cataloging everything you find. You'd be surprised at the information you get about them. Archaeologists frequently find coin caches in Europe, Asia and the Middle East because they have metal histories that stretch back thousands of years. Finds like that are less frequent in North, Central and South America because coins didn't exist here prior to Columbus' arrival. But I agree with your other comments about the nature of archaeologists. They are often secretive, hiding their finds from their own colleagues in order to enhance their own standing and ego.

Midden Monster, boy are you right on that, the neighbors trash.

My brother went through a very messy divorce with a wife who was living a double/tripple life, more than one husband it turned out. So we spent one year snatching her garbage off the street curb each trash day. Tossed it in the trunk of the car like in a movie. That is how we found out about the second husband, third house and like six hidden bank accounts. Boy was she suprised in court. I spent several years as a bounty hunter so this was old business for me.

This post is relevant since my brother was "looted" in the trial !!

Zobex

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lack of funding for archaeologist projects? Due to "been there done that" type of finds.

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

Zobex said:
My brother went through a very messy divorce with a wife who was living a double/tripple life, more than one husband it turned out. So we spent one year snatching her garbage off the street curb each trash day. Tossed it in the trunk of the car like in a movie. That is how we found out about the second husband, third house and like six hidden bank accounts. Boy was she suprised in court. I spent several years as a bounty hunter so this was old business for me.

A person's, or culture's garbage always tells the tale. Now imagine what our trash will tell people 200 years for now. In the past trash was just piled up and mixed together at the dump. Now your trash is contained in bags that isolate the individual pieces from your neighbor's trash. With pattern analysis and other techniques, future dumpster divers, landfill archaeologists and midden monsters will be able to track years, if not a lifetime of trash for one person or family. More will be known about that long dead person than has been known about anyone who has ever lived up to this time. Their daily diet, what they read, mail they got, stuff they didn't want other people to see, illnesses they had and medications they took, seeds and stems, liquor, beer and wine bottles, genetic material from snot-rags, bloody bandaids, receipts from CDs they bought, tastes in shoes and clothing, bodies they got rid of and who knows what else. At some point in the future it will be possible to collect all that and analyze it to a greater degree that we can imagine today. And if the archaeologists get their way it will all be history that belongs to everyone. Just think of your most mundane, intimate and private details on display at some museum of the future. Or online for 15 billion people to peruse at their leisure.

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Won't be any Archaeologists, history is recored now. I think the future holds more promise of exciting things to do other than look at mundane, intimate and private details of that old codger that live back when. Or it, the earth, will all be blown to bits and scathered beyond comperhension.

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

CaptJohn said:
Won't be any Archaeologists, history is recored now. I think the future holds more promise of exciting things to do other than look at mundane, intimate and private details of that old codger that live back when.

History has been recorded for about 5000 years. But often the what is recorded is not the way things happened, or tell only part of the story. A few years back PBS aired a show, I believe it was a Secrets of the Dead episode, about the Battle of Little Bighorn. Recorded history tells us that Custer and his men made this great last stand and died as they were finally overwhelmed. A forensic archaeologist was able to metal detect the site and locate many of the bullets and balls that were fired in the battle. The forensic analysis showed that far from an heroic last stand, Custer and his men had pretty much lost from the beginning, were scattered by the Indians, and many were running for their lives when they were killed. The analysis also showed that the Indians picked up the rifles from Custer's men after they died and used them against the U.S. troops. Virtually the entire battle was mapped out, including points from where specific guns were fired by U.S. troops, and where they moved to when the Indians picked them up.

There will always be a need for archaeologists to dig up and recover the evidence of history that is too mundane for anyone else to care about. And one day we will be that history.

Or it, the earth, will all be blown to bits and scathered beyond comperhension.

If that's happens, then it will be alien archaeologists fighting with alien treasure hunters over the fragments that remain of the Earth. So be careful about throwing out anything you don't want the aliens to see. ;)

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I enjoy the great stories. I live in Bridgeport Connecticut.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread