Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the old school again and continued my grid search of the field yesterday. I am digging all the mid tones, high tones, and anything that sounds the lease bit good. That means I am digging a LOT OF TABS AND TRASH.

You have to dig all this......

B29DF77F-C64C-457F-8EBF-4E9F862F05AA.jpeg 7BB96DAA-DC30-432F-857F-83ADFA57A2AF.jpeg

9E67D1E4-0365-4506-93B6-8CA908038E31.jpeg

If you want to find this....

257704DD-23E6-4F08-AA5D-B3CB1AD438EE.jpeg

The total for 5.5 hours of swingin the CZ21 was 21 coins, a low number for here, with a face value of $1.37, 2 keys, 2 parts of a brass belt buckel found 5 feet apart, a weird heavy ring (probably not jewelry), a silver ring, 2 CW bullets, a 1943P war nickel and a 1942 wheatie. The war nickel was an iffy mid tone. It is really crusty and it was 8 or 9 inches down.

The ring was a nice high tone at about 3 inches. It is marked STERLING with an arrow and HM. So it is from MCGRATH-HAMIN INC made between 1950 and 1980. It has glass stones and from the style I would say it is probably from the 50s.

41C0A443-D945-4439-9C65-A88E0666D519.jpeg 5FF4EC15-7D9A-4463-BC95-45F466E9B965.jpeg

The civil war bullets are another .44 Watervliet Arsenal (T&T number 10A) and a .44 army colt (T&T 32). The Watervliet is a definite drop. It looks to me like it has some black powder stuck to the base and it looks like some of the glue used to attach the paper to the bullet is still on the rebate base.
There was no sign of the rest of the powder when I dug it and the paper would have gone long ago.

DE7E7D1E-3DFF-4B42-9A4A-C933C32412AF.jpeg

For those of you too young to remember, 2 of the ring tabs were part of old contests. One was from a tab monopoly games (St. James Place) and the other from a different game (D). If you collected the right tabs you won cash prizes like the pull off tickets on the McDonald’s monopoly cups. For monopoly you collected the pieces to make a monopoly. For the other game you spelled out a word (can’t remember what it was) and won the cash prize.

52AF1471-7534-4562-87B4-AF807B65145E.jpeg

Yesterday was good day but it was weird too. I spent most of my time on a grid search and 4 of the best finds were found on the same pass, going from one side of the field to the other. As I got past the middle of the field I found the silver nickel, then 2 feet away, the first bullet then 3 feet away the second bullet and as I turned at the end of the pass I found the ring. It is really funny how these things work out sometimes.

Yesterday was again cold to start and warmed up quickly so I had to shed my coat and them put it back on when the rain started.

Went back to school in the rain this morning. Got there just as the rain went from drizzle to steady, but I started swingin anyway. The rain made digging and staying neat more of a challenge than usual so I didn’t cover a lot of ground.

I found a few coins (18) with a face value of $.69, the plate off an old trophy, a Ludwig drum adjustment tool, a track shoe spike, a metal cross with wooden inlay, a CW bullet and an old fishing sinker. Of course I found more tabs and trash (no pictures this time).

7C265FFE-387C-4DF5-BF97-D9F52E3938CB.jpeg

The bullet is a .54 Burnside. This is only the second burnside I have found. It is really beat up but it’s still fun to find civil war relics in any condition.

5955EC75-2F6A-46C5-BBA1-B9D7A0893246.jpeg

I have been having a good week with civil war relics and silver. Hopefully I can get out some more later in the week if we doesn’t get too cold and we don’t get snow. Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 10
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on digging the mid-tones! :occasion14: Those signals always produce nice gold, but not after digging many many pull tabs.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on digging the mid-tones! :occasion14: Those signals always produce nice gold, but not after digging many many pull tabs.

Many pull tabs is right, I have almost a 5 gallon bucket full from the last 3 years of detecting and believe me THAT is a lot of holes. Thanks and keep swingin.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those bullets nice save nice coins your right gotta dig those solid signals I've found many rings that way. Looks like a good day diggin

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are days when I just scan an area for "high squeaks". Usually to get a feel for the area. But to really find the "good" stuff, one *has* to put in the work! Lots of trash is far outweighed by one really nice find.

Good job!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are days when I just scan an area for "high squeaks". Usually to get a feel for the area. But to really find the "good" stuff, one *has* to put in the work! Lots of trash is far outweighed by one really nice find.

Good job!

I do the same thing some times. On this field the first day I did a wander around and found a CW colt pistol round an nice old flat button and a merc and some clad and thought WOW this place is loaded. I started to grid the next time and was really disappointed, but I kept on gridding and digging all the highs and mids and you see the results. Mostly clad and trash, but usually one or 2 goodies to make the day worth while. I would rather dig the trash so I don t miss the iffy goodies.

Thanks and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread