A Phone Call I made on June 8, 2012

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ring.. Ring,
Owner: Hello?

Terry: Hi, my name is Terry, and I was metal detecting in Dobbs Ferry today, when I found a dog tag with this telephone number on it. Do you have a pet named "BJ?"

Owner: Oh my gosh, who is this?

Terry: My name is Terry. The tag is a round bronze tag that reads, "My name is BJ. If you find me please call 212-XXX-XXXX."

Owner: Yes. BJ was my dog. Unfortunately he died last year. Where did you say you found it?

Terry: Oh, I'm sorry for the loss of your pet. A friend and I were metal detecting along the river in Dobbs Ferry.

Owner: Dobbs Ferry? We haven't been there for at least 10-years. I can't believe you found BJ's tag. It was very kind of you to call.

Terry: Would you like me to send you the tag?

Owner: That is so nice of you to offer, but no, you keep it.

Terry: Well, in that case, know that this is a sign from BJ, that he is happy and wanted you to know.

Owner: Wow, I'm really touched. Thank you so much for calling, I really appreciate it. I just can't believe it!

Terry: OK. Well, you're welcome. Nice talking with you. Goodbye

Owner: Thank you again, thank you. Bye.

8-)

Attachments

• BJ dog tag.jpg
    BJ dog tag.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice of you to call him. I can't believe he didn't want the tag. I sure would have...

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wonder why he didnt want it :dontknow:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That call has deposited more karma in your account. You are lucky the phone number was still good. Kudos to you Terry.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Receiving a call like this, I would have cried like a kid but very happy at the same time. Terry you're a very Nice fellow.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wonder why he didnt want it :dontknow:

I have wondered about that as well. I think the owner was overwhelmed, and for a person that lives in Manhattan that is saying something. Another thought, there are so many scams these days that many just won't give their address to someone that calls them out of the blue. I do think "BJ" wanted to make contact with his owner though, and I was the earthly conduit.

Go!d&$ilver

Greenie
Jun 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. I always enjoy hearing stories like this. I'm also surprised they didn't want the tag back.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe taking back the the tag would have meant remembering and telling a sad or painful story or it is just bad timing for him (ex.: argument with wife). :dontknow:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
He said that the dog died last year - but he never said how! :laughing7:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was very nice of you Terry, to go to the trouble.
He may have gotten another dog by now, or just doesn't want another sad reminder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread