A piece of Georgia history

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in my yard yesterday and thinking it was a block-off plate I almost tossed it until I saw a raised bit of writing on the edge. After cleaning it off, I actually found a piece of Georgia history. This is a large (approx 5 inches across) medallion/plaque? of Walter F. George, who after I researched it a bit, turned out to be one of Georgia most celebrated Senators from 1922 to 1957. This guy was apparently known as a Vocational Educator advocate, was a strict constitutionalist and a staunch segregationist and signed the Southern Manifesto in 1956 to oppose segregation in public schools. He started the Walter F. George School of Law (now Mercer University). He has a Historical Marker in Dooley County Georgia, a Lake and Dam named for him and the Post Office honored him with a 4 cent stamp.
So why this was in my yard, your guess is as good as mine, but an interesting find. If anyone knows anything about this piece, let me know, I can find all sorts of data on the guy but not the piece and why it may have been made and what it was originally part of.
Good hunting everyone!

20220720_114330.jpg

Upvote 29

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this in my yard yesterday and thinking it was a block-off plate I almost tossed it until I saw a raised bit of writing on the edge. After cleaning it off, I actually found a piece of Georgia history. This is a large (approx 5 inches across) medallion/plaque? of Walter F. George, who after I researched it a bit, turned out to be one of Georgia most celebrated Senators from 1922 to 1957. This guy was apparently known as a Vocational Educator advocate, was a strict constitutionalist and a staunch segregationist and signed the Southern Manifesto in 1956 to oppose segregation in public schools. He started the Walter F. George School of Law (now Mercer University). He has a Historical Marker in Dooley County Georgia, a Lake and Dam named for him and the Post Office honored him with a 4 cent stamp.
So why this was in my yard, your guess is as good as mine, but an interesting find. If anyone knows anything about this piece, let me know, I can find all sorts of data on the guy but not the piece and why it may have been made and what it was originally part of.
Good hunting everyone!

View attachment 2037797
That’s a nice piece. Congratulations on your recovery!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably an academic award of some sort. Nice find!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunting everyone!

View attachment 2037797
Nice!!! Congrats!!!!

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
AlgoForce E1500
Good hunting everyone!

View attachment 2037797
Nice coin, has great detail. 👍

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good hunting everyone!

View attachment 2037797
crazy, you never know what we are walking over. Cool piece of history for sure, wtg

OP
OP
Cuda74

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shhh! Don't say opposed segregation too loud. They'll have to change everything that's named after him

Probably an academic award of some sort. Nice find!
Hi ya Cudamark,
You were exactly right, it is an academic award from the University. My wife found an image on-line from the University showing a different person on the award face, but it is the same ,size, etc, and is given for academic excellence. Tried to upload it but it's not going through.
Good call....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread