A Pleasant Observation at the School Yard

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

Today my Daughter and I went to another school to look for jewelry and other goodies. Upon arriving, I said “you detect, I’ll just watch”. This morning, I was digging at a few colonial cellar holes and was tired. She did very well and recovered her 5th silver jewelry piece along with some clad coins. I really enjoyed just watching my daughter systematically hunt the area, it brought a tear to my eye.

Thank you for looking.

GL & HH

Doc

4_29_17.jpg

Upvote 19

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great going detecting with your daughter!!! Sounds like a special day!! Congrats and HH

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I like hunting with my kids too; son turns 14 soon and he has been off on his own now for about 19 months and doing great. Daughter just turned 10 and she has been going out with her brother hunting more and more.

We started teaching them at six and seven, the daughter has the happiness when she digs something nice of value, my son not so much anymore, but he is happy with his monthly totals and still gets exited about that.

Still got two young ones to teach, they think everything is treasure at their ages.

How old is your daughter and how long have you had her in the hobby?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very awesome, I think that some women detect slower and precise than some of us men. My wife will hardly cover a lot of area for digging nearly every signal she gets. it is a great feeling to see that someone, especially your offspring , to have actually listened to you and are applying said knowledge. my hat off to you sir for getting her involved in something worth while.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. That sounds like a very enjoyable afternoon!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to spend time with your daughter Professor. Enjoy those moments. My daughter use to detect with me when she was a little girl of 8 and 10 yrs. old. She
just had her 31rst birthday last Sunday, and every now and then she will call and say "Hey dad lets go do some digging". Even though she doesnt detect anymore, she always enjoys seeing the pictures of the items that I find. I know your daughter will remember those moments just as you will.

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Oddjob,

My daughter is 14 years old and has been detecting with me for nine years. In the beginning, she would just locate the item in the plug after it has been flipped (I do miss those years). About four years ago, I turned her loose with the ACE 250, Garrett Pin Pointer, Lesche digging tool, Sampson Ground Shark 31 and last year she added the Minelab 705 to her arsenal. She loves find jewelry and silver coins!

Best Regards,

Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread