Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out before we get snow, found a few things
This point/preform… at least I think… not so sure it’s not supposed to be flipped as a scraper also an unusual material, not sure I’ve seen that before.
IMG_7390.jpeg
IMG_7396.jpeg
IMG_7400.jpeg
IMG_7391.jpeg
IMG_7392.jpeg

Next was just funny, quite the angry little bit of debitage

IMG_7403.jpeg

Next is a nice quartz hammer stone, no quartz anywhere in the area so definitely imported, with the battering and being found on a site I feel good about the id
IMG_7427.jpeg
IMG_7429.jpeg
IMG_7434.jpeg

Finally is this big hunk of flint that looks like it has a shaped edge but looking at the overall form I wouldn’t think it was anything… again not natural on a limestone/sandstone bluff top on a na site… probably just debitage but maybe they were trying to do something with it
IMG_7418.jpeg
IMG_7419.jpeg
IMG_7425.jpeg
IMG_7421.jpeg
IMG_7422.jpeg

Upvote 13
The first flint piece is a nice example of a hafted scraper. The flat end would have been inserted into a handle, bone or wood. The rest of the flint I would consider shatter debitage from making tools, and may well have been used as expedient tools.

So you see the scraper too. That was my initial reaction but when I actually look at it I think preform is the most simple explanation. With the ufos and fingerprint I wonder if it’s Kay county but I’ve never seen it in a cream and butterscotch color. If I wasn’t clear the pictures after the hammer stone are all the same piece probably nothing but that one edge seems oddly over worked for a random hunk
IMG_7416.jpeg

I agree with the scaper.

I see a hammer stone too, well used.

the odd metal item, is that conical, and crushed flat?

It’s not metal just a bit of flint, I was cleaning the debitage to see if I missed anything like a flake knife and I saw a little face looking back at me.
IMG_7402.jpeg
IMG_7403.jpeg

It’s nice to find a humor stone with the other artifacts surrounding it. It confirms that it is way out of place and a definite cool find. Another note on the hammer stone, note to polished and darker areas, which are the accumulation of oils from skin that held those.

Nice finds.

Sorry easy to overlook details when in hand, it’s a biface the faces do look pretty similar here’s a profile. That’s why I thought maybe preform but gut reaction when I found it was a scraper.
IMG_7436.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back