A question for those with target ids

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I dug one an 1876 Hald Dime that hit dead on a zinc coin. I know a few other keeper coins do too.

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Indian head pennies and early wheaties. Gold rings. Depth is usually the giveaway on the older pennies... depends on your area, but a 5" zinc signal is usually an old penny for me.

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
I find that most of the zinc items i find are in the 50 to 62 on my VDI. zinc lids, small
bottle caps , toy cars, ole wheaties, some auto parts come in this range also.. :thumbsup:

M L HUDSON

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Strangely enough, in my area of East Tennessee, I have found some gold, silver and even some brass or lead relics read like a zinc penny!! Just proves this hobby is a LOT like fishing, you can't ever tell what you'll pull in!! Good luck and great hunting! Regards, Richard.

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Dug this today, was a clear, repeatable zinc signal near the bottom of the depth meter...

Attachments

• 101708 012.jpg
    101708 012.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 261
  • 101708 012.jpg
    101708 012.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 256

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Tony24, see what we're saying? I.D.'s are great as long as you don't get hooked on just what the display says! Combine the sound and the meter and after a little learning curve, you will be surprised by what you could have missed! At1cad, great Indian! most of the ones I find in crop fields are really beat due to fertilizer! Good find!! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard.

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
many IH's will come up in the zinc range on my xlt... sometimes the settings I use will make typically higher items come in a little lower also

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had 1970s nickels read as zinc. They had heavy patina, and I'm thinking that's what caused the shift on the TID.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions