A silver kinda weekend

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Got out for two separate hunts, each about 2 hours, and came away with silver both times from sites I had detected before. Had my silver umax with 10x12 coil, set to maximum sensitivity again and left the disc at foil and dug every good target and some questionable targets.

The silver ring was a very questionable target. It kept breaking up on me and I couldn't read it past the 1 cent mark on the disc, which really unusual for silver as it will keep giving a signal beyond that point. Dug down a couple inches and found out why I was getting a broken signal....one part of the band on the ring was broken off its soldering point.

The silver dime hit very good at first, but as I moved the dirt with my shoe the dime went with it, and on the surface was giving me broken signals. I could have brought the sensitivity down to avoid that but I really didn't think of it at the time and I really wasn't expecting it to be a silver dime since the area was really trashy. Well, to my surprise a small, blackened, coin-shaped disc appeared. Thought it was a penny but to my surprise it was a 1942 merc! Cleaned it up just a bit with baking soda to remove some of the charring.

Ray

Attachments

• ring1.jpg
    ring1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 566
  • ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 567
  • 1942 merc.jpg
    1942 merc.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 562
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on the silver Ray! :icon_king:
The Umax pulls through again. :wink:
-MM-

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on a "Silver Kinda Weekend" Ray.....Hope you don't have any daughter's ;D :thumbsup:

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Nice going, Ray! :thumbsup:

You just proved there's still silver out there. ;D

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Ray. Be carefull of the wild fires. I know there isn't much grass around Banning but when the onshore winds come back I would suspect all of that smoke will get filtered through the Banning pass around Palm Springs

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Thanks everyone!

Dan, I had to tell myself that I've got to snag some silver before I leave California. Can't let Dan have it all, LOL. Sad thing is, this will probably be the last silver I dig out of Banning since I won't have time this week at all to do any detecting. It's packing week! I leave my home detecting grounds to others now willing to brave the stares of curious Banning onlookers.

crazyjarhead, actually Banning has a ton of dry grass in the surrounding hills and mountains. Two years ago we had one of the biggest fires in California, called the Esperanza fire. It was started by an arsonist and five firefighters were killed in the line of duty. The arsonist knew what he was doing when he lit the fire because he started it in an location where he knew the fire would spread up the mountains fast, furious and far, and would be difficult to contain by firefighters.

My wife and I actually saw the Corona fire on Saturday afternoon. That morning we drove to Southgate and passed through Corona around 9am and the skies were clear. By the time we made our way back to Banning at 2pm the fire was huge and so was the cloud of smoke. Traffic was backed up for miles on end on the other side of the 60 freeway heading west. We need to keep these people in our prayers, as well as others in California who are facing similar fires in their areas.

Ray

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got a couple of beauties there.

Attachments

• 161.gif