A sluice without riffles?

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006
Hi all, I'm sorry....but I cant see the point of pissing around with such a small sluice box & spending all day shoveling one bucket of material through it with a little hand trowel. That stream flow would handle any decent size sluice box & process that big bucket in 30 seconds. Finding & recovering gold is a numbers game....the more material you can process in a given time the more gold you are going to get. Thats providing the gold is there in the first place.
As to buying a sluice box & prices.....it aint that hard to make one. Even if you make one out of ply & with wooden riffles. As has been said all sluices will trap gold....ok some better than others. But if you have the right flow & velocity of H2O going through the box & the right slope & action behind the riffles you cant go wrong. If the water flow isnt that great then it may pay to preclassify the material & use smaller height riffles & have them spread apart more. The secret is to have enough water flow & pressure to wash on the waste material but not so much that it is going to sweep your box clean. It isnt rocket science that if you put large material down your box then you will need a strong water flow to wash it on through & lose fine gold in the process.
There is always some one trying to reinvent the wheel & stating theirs is the latest & greatest & best ever. GIVE ME A BRAKE ??? ??? ???

Happy golding

Kiwi JW

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pvillehunter said:
yea i will my sluice is stashed by the creek right now but, im headin out to go dredging in a few minutes..... :coffee2: :coffee2: i have my camera and will take some pics of it down by the creek. ill also post some pics of the gold we found yesterday we got some pretty nice flakes.i will try to post and attach pics tonight.

Got those pics yet ?

I would still like to make one just to see it work.

GG~

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
sounds like it would be a good cleanup sluice with a small electric pump added but for just dumping material in i cant see myself using anything less than 3' x 10" and thats still a little small for good sluicing.

i use a 76" x 10"sluice and it does ok but still not big enough LMAO

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beaks said:
sounds like it would be a good cleanup sluice with a small electric pump added but for just dumping material in i cant see myself using anything less than 3' x 10" and thats still a little small for good sluicing.

i use a 76" x 10"sluice and it does ok but still not big enough LMAO

I know what you mean. I keep a 5 gal bucket under the discharge end of my highbanker sluice and run it back through after cleaning my sluice, just to make sure nothing was missed.

GG~

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
lol i do too and pan the tailings when im done.

i like to get it all LOL

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys my little point and shoot digital is trashed i took it out of my pack and the lens was out like it was on, but it wasnt so i figured the batteries were dead.... i opened it up to replace them.... rust and crud everywhere >:( >:( >:( so even in my dry seeming pack there must have been humidity :dontknow: next one i will keep in a plastic bag.. i want to get pics for you guys but, there no way my fiancee will let me take her canon rebel to the creek. by the way this sluice will only work in a creek it wont work as a recirc. and isnt a clean up sluice. as far as size the upstream intake is 22" tapers to18" or so at a 4' length thats why you can dump buckets of material into it.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that patent isnt for the sluice we"ve been discussing close but no, imagine the side profile without the water intake underneath its two chambers over under the bottom is the intake wich forces water through pvc into the nugget trap the deck that seperates them is where you dump the material, the slurry is carried to the grizzly by the creek flow everything minus the grizz size goes along the deck through grizz into trap heavies will not leave the trap the waterflow from the bottom pvc flow maintains suspension, i did stir what was in the trap box with a crevice tool occasionally because of my natural scepticism but when i saw how fine the gold it kept was i wondered if it was necesarry. and because of the angle of the grizz bars any nuggets bigger than the grizz will sit there they will not go up and over no matter what, i didnt find any nuggets that big but thats where the bullets stopped.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im sorry as i stated in a previous post i guess my point and shoot spent too much time near the creek and got rusty inside and will not work. i will post pics as soon as i have a camera to take some with.. sooooooooooo sorry.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
garyww has made a post over on www.goldprospector.org and on www.49ermike.com in the prospecting forum titled "riffel test".its a three part download that i highly recommend for all to read. its full of results from Garys researching this subject! in my opinion, even the best prospector will pickup a few great ideas from this very informative artical! and if nothing else its good reading! thanks Gary for all that went into this and then shareing it with us!

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey pvillehunter, the patent that was linked is the original patent for this kind of sluice. Howard Schmidt was the original designer. He passed away a few years ago. The design of the "trap" area with the tubes and low water flow was his patent design. Todd at Bazooka Gold Company has just taken his design and made it more modern with ASB plastic and heat welded grizzly wires. The concept of the sluice and trap are based off of the Schmidt Trap. Google "Schmidt trap" and you find the connection.

Here is a pasted comment from the Bazooka Gold Company home page:

About Bazooka Gold Company

We, at the Bazooka Gold Company, are proud to bring back the patented Howard Schmidt's Gold trap line of products with an improved design and construction.

There is the connection and that it is the patent that was posted above.

Not trying to offend anyone, just clarifying.

jsehoule

Nov 24, 2006
For a small sluice with easy clean up. I would buy the Angus Mackirk long tom. I have one and I have the flare sluice. Both work great at catching really fine gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread