A small hill was in our yard when we bought the property in 1972. I cut the small hill off in 2006 and found this approximately 12-18 inches down.

Annie Husong

Mar 4, 2024
IMG_2982.jpeg

Upvote 52
Well I just looked and there are many with that stem but almost all say they are small. This one says medium but it’s still small compared to what you have posted. It’s the closest match I can find.

Attachments

• IMG_3232.jpeg
    IMG_3232.jpeg
    506.4 KB · Views: 31
For what it’s worth it really does look like a granite or something of the sort, even if it’s some kind of flint I’ve never found anything like it here in se Kansas, looking at material and some stuff In overstreet maybe it came from the south?
IMG_8361.jpeg
IMG_8362.jpeg
IMG_8359.jpeg
IMG_8360.jpeg

For what it’s worth it really does look like a granite or something of the sort, even if it’s some kind of flint I’ve never found anything like it here in se Kansas, looking at material and some stuff In overstreet maybe it came from the south? View attachment 2135684View attachment 2135685View attachment 2135686View attachment 2135687
You seems to have a lot of knowledge on these things. Do you know if’s might be valuable? After some research it might be some sort of metal. It only weights 1.9 oz. But it seems heavy to me, A little indentation about the size of a dime was ash when we pick it up and the ash stayed on the ground. Unknown of how long it was under ground.

Hi Annie Husong,
The area you located this artifact was land controlled by the Cherokee.

The Cherokee were moved to a large reservation in the northeastern part of Oklahoma in the winter of 1838-39. After nearly 70 years of existence under their own tribal government they were allotted land in severalty and became citizens of the United States.

I wonder if what this Mound may be is a Cherokee Burial Site?

The Cherokee bodies are traditionally buried in the ground in the belief that they will provide nourishment to the earth.

The Spear Head shows some style of Cherokee.

Spear Head Cherokee.jpg

Spear head Cherokee 2.jpg

That is pretty cool. I haven't seen that type of material used before in NEOK. I can pretty much tell you it's not from any Cherokee burial mound, cause they weren't doing that sort of thing at that time, and they really weren't into stone tools at the time of the removal. You can do this. Contact the Oklahoma Archaeology Survey at OU. They will ID it for you, and not have you arrested for having it. I have no clue about any sort of monetary value.

You seems to have a lot of knowledge on these things. Do you know if’s might be valuable? After some research it might be some sort of metal. It only weights 1.9 oz. But it seems heavy to me, A little indentation about the size of a dime was ash when we pick it up and the ash stayed on the ground. Unknown of how long it was under ground.
So you're thinking its some type of metal?

That is pretty cool. I haven't seen that type of material used before in NEOK. I can pretty much tell you it's not from any Cherokee burial mound, cause they weren't doing that sort of thing at that time, and they really weren't into stone tools at the time of the removal. You can do this. Contact the Oklahoma Archaeology Survey at OU. They will ID it for you, and not have you arrested for having it. I have no clue about any sort of monetary value.
Google... Cherokee burial practices and what I quoted was right off their site.

You are correct. The Cherokee may have used mounds for burials when they were in the east and a powerful tribe. Probabky decended from Mississippian cultures. Once subugated and relocated out west most of their practices stopped. By the time they made it to Oklahoma they would not have been making stone tools or using burial mounds. The OP's spear point is probably very old and would preceed that time frame.

AMAZING find congratulations !!

It definitely looks like granite or some other igneous rock. A magnet will give a good read on whether its metal (ferrous).

I have almost no knowledge about these kinds of artifacts I have spent time looking for arow Ponts and other related items but never located any BUT in my opinion what you have found isa n AWESOME FIND congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back