A small hill was in our yard when we bought the property in 1972. I cut the small hill off in 2006 and found this approximately 12-18 inches down.

Annie Husong

Mar 4, 2024
IMG_2982.jpeg

Upvote 52
Sweet find. It reminds me of a meteorite for some reason?

Couple questions . Howw big was the hill / Distance around at the base and how tall ?

Couple questions . Howw big was the hill / Distance around at the base and how tall ?
My thoughts too!
Burial Mound?

"The Cherokee mostly used shallow graves that were not much larger than the body. Bodies were often laid in the fetal position, possibly due to the belief that one should rest in death in the earth as they once rested within their mother. Most Cherokee were buried with items of personal importance. Excavations of burial sites at Garden Creek Mound in North Carolina found items including pottery, metal and bone ornaments, shells, and ceramics. Hairpins, beads, and pendants have also been found in graves"
."
Cherokee Burial Mound 2.jpg

I'm still not convinced this is stone even.
The backside of the point is even looking more like aluminum rot.
From digging metals for over 50 yrs and owning a scrap yard I've seen this happen to aluminum before.
Gets a brown tone overall, then the pitted rot looks that has a moldy look to it.
Aluminum that been exposed to water (salt) can produce this look as well.
Finally the picture of the back, the perfect line that runs up the left side-I would like to hear an explanation for this as in how did the do that (Knapping) the piece?
It looks more like a casting seam.
Screen Shot 2024-03-14 at 7.09.46 AM.png

Back side

I think the OP should take a sharp knife and scrape it along side a portion of the object....see if it shows signs of pot metal, if it is a stone like granite, it won't be affected at all.
The material is a mystery for sure. By the looks of it it wasn’t flaked so it must of been ground into shape. To be ground into shape it would have to be a softer material like a slate level of hardness. Idk the types of material that her state has. It’s a interesting read for sure

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back