What's new

A trip to the Black Hills

tamrock

Platinum Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2013
Messages
16,407
Reaction score
34,878
Golden Thread
0
Location
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week, the daughter, grandson and I took a road trip up to the Black Hills of South Dakota. We left Ft Collins, CO on March 13th and returned the 19th. The weather was downright wicked heading up there on I25 North and the wind was generating gusts up to 70 + mpr, which did blow over a couple of big trucks and campers. We got going early every day and visited so many interesting places. The weather took a major turn by the end of the trip with temps in the higher 60s.Here's a few shots of what you might see around the area.
 

Attachments

  • 20260314_125903.webp
    20260314_125903.webp
    2.4 MB · Views: 127
  • 20260319_113239.webp
    20260319_113239.webp
    2.3 MB · Views: 98
  • 20260318_124500.webp
    20260318_124500.webp
    634 KB · Views: 89
  • 20260318_125255.webp
    20260318_125255.webp
    627.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 20260318_145540(0).webp
    20260318_145540(0).webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 86
  • 20260318_141927.webp
    20260318_141927.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
  • 20260318_142919.webp
    20260318_142919.webp
    2 MB · Views: 91
  • 20260317_132558.webp
    20260317_132558.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 86
  • 20260317_120922.webp
    20260317_120922.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
  • 20260315_160611.webp
    20260315_160611.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
  • 20260315_152955.webp
    20260315_152955.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 91
  • 20260316_164709.webp
    20260316_164709.webp
    852.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20260317_152606.webp
    20260317_152606.webp
    998.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 20260317_103156.webp
    20260317_103156.webp
    1 MB · Views: 80
  • 20260317_130315.webp
    20260317_130315.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Great photos. That poor goat looks like he's ready for some warmer weather. I wonder what that tower crane way up that cliff side was doing?
That's the crazy horse monument which is enormous. Just his arm will span the faces on Mt Rushmore. The crane I'm sure is to hoist heavy equipment to the top. Years ago I was involved with some donations of drilling accessories to be offered there. I got to go in at no charge and see things up close. The project is all privately funded and it all started in 1948, so when it will be completed is anybodies guess. We didn't go in to see it up close, because the 6 yr old grandson was tired and beginning to complain. He wanted to head back to the motel and play with his hot wheels instead.
 
Thanks for the tag-a-long Mr. Tamrock ! i can't get out to travel anymore so your trip gave me great pleasure to see this through your Lense !
Glad you enjoyed it russau. My daughter and I have a goal to get her son out and away now that he's older. Next trip if all goes as planned is to drive up to Medicine Bow and see the UP Big Boy Locomotive begin it's western stretch on a nation wide trip to destinations across the US in our 250th US celebration. That'll be next Sunday. The Big Boy leaves Cheyenne at 8AM and will arrive in Medicine Bow around 1:30 pm, which will give us time to get there with hopefully with less of a crowd than Laramie and Cheyenne. Plus Medicine Bow still looks a bit like a place that got passed up by time.
 
Great pics. Thanks. Is that "Calamity..." to the ight of Wild Bill actually Calamity Jane?
It is. I guess they put her there as a joke, because she claimed her and Wild Bill were an item. He always claimed otherwise.
 
I rode a 1972 Harley Electra glide from Illinois to the black hills about 40 years ago and still remember how beautiful it was!!
I had a 73 Superguild back in 1975 to 77. My cousin couple year ago at a family funeral said the guy I sold it to for $2400. still has it, because he brought the guy over. Dang! that bike would rattle to pieces pipes falling off, crack developed under by the bottom mount of the oil tank and a split in the front saddle weld of the gas tank. My dad would always say something when I went to their house up the driveway that ran along the upstairs living room. It was because I had straight open drag pipes on it and I guess it would vibrate things hanging on the wall. It was starting to blow smoke out the front cylinder and I really didn't like everyone pointing out its an AMF. I didn't think taking it to Leadville to start work in a mine would be all that fun.
 
Last edited:
Great post and pics. My wife and l will be out there in a few weeks. Hopefully the weather will be good.
 
Great post and pics. My wife and l will be out there in a few weeks. Hopefully the weather will be good.
This is what the evening looked like out the 4th floor window of our motel on the 13th. We arrived just before it moved in. The next day at Mt Rushmore was pretty cold an windy, but the weather turned better every day till the 19th. We took the trail around Devil's Tower on that day as it was then up in the middle 70s. That was really a gorgeous day to spend outside.
 

Attachments

  • 20260314_203556.webp
    20260314_203556.webp
    594.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20260319_123757.webp
    20260319_123757.webp
    3.1 MB · Views: 62
  • 20260319_124558.webp
    20260319_124558.webp
    2.8 MB · Views: 76
Glad you enjoyed it russau. My daughter and I have a goal to get her son out and away now that he's older. Next trip if all goes as planned is to drive up to Medicine Bow and see the UP Big Boy Locomotive begin it's western stretch on a nation wide trip to destinations across the US in our 250th US celebration. That'll be next Sunday. The Big Boy leaves Cheyenne at 8AM and will arrive in Medicine Bow around 1:30 pm, which will give us time to get there with hopefully with less of a crowd than Laramie and Cheyenne. Plus Medicine Bow still looks a bit like a place that got passed up by time.
I used to go dredging in Wyoming & Colorado for years and I think I saw that train about 20 years ago (??). I have a picture of it some where . people were pulled over on the side of the rode taking pictures of it ( me to ! ) I didn't know the significance of it until I saw it ! It was a big one for sure !
 
Thanks for the trip, been quite awhile since I was up in the blackhills ,Deadwoid,Sturgis,,,, I always knew I would get old just didn't know it would happen so fast !😂
 
Thanks for the trip, been quite awhile since I was up in the blackhills ,Deadwoid,Sturgis,,,, I always knew I would get old just didn't know it would happen so fast !😂
Its been a long time since going up the for me also, other than calling on the Homestake mine a few times before they closed in the 90s. We went long ago as a family when I was maybe 7 or 8. I remember some of it such as Mt. Rushmore, but especially the Wild Bill Hickok story. I remember a different grave and thought about what a cold way it be to die with a bullet in the back of the head.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom