A very cool find if you ask me..interesting to say the least

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/max, Explorer, CTX, Tesoro Tejon, and many other..BUT MY GO TO MACHINE= Equinox 600 stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug this a week or 2 ago..was very deep.. it has "Lydia Pygen 1694" engraved on it ..its not magnetic so maybe its silver? .....

I posted it on another forum , and we came up with it being a name plate on a portrait is the best guess , the thing is a person pointed out her family was documented in a book.. i think it is pretty neat ..
They also posted about her coming to new london, which is exactly where i dug this...i will post the links below some of you may find this interesting..
Thanks for the looks
Another guy posted this .below
Googling the name I found the below, maybe a typo on the last name through the records, but seems close all things considered.
Lydia PYGAN of New London, Conn.

married Eliphalet ADAMS 1709/12/15

# referred to in Colonial Families of the United States of America, Volume 2, page 714: one Joseph Trumann settled in New London in 1666 and purchased some pits for tanning from Alexander PIGGIN in 1667. An additional reference to this is in the Hamilton HURD History of New London County, Connecticut.

Here's the full link, her name is bottom of the first major section
Piggin One-Name Study: Printed and other Works

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/11339976/lydia-adams

Attachments

• image-2021-03-15-17-53-31.jpg
    image-2021-03-15-17-53-31.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 288
Upvote 44

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great research and thanks for sharing with us

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You just got a Banner nomination from me....
Simply amazing find, and research.
Another forum?..... Obviously a history site, right?

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow,that's cool. Sure looks silver to me. Great job

OP
OP
Norwichnut

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/max, Explorer, CTX, Tesoro Tejon, and many other..BUT MY GO TO MACHINE= Equinox 600 stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You just got a Banner nomination from me....
Simply amazing find, and research.
Another forum?..... Obviously a history site, right?

Yes , a connecticut forum..... thanks for the looks..i thought some of you would find it interesting!!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fantastic piece of history and a great piece of research.

You have something rather more interesting than a nameplate though! That will probably be one of Lydia's (much treasured) dress-making items. It's a blunt bodkin for threading ribbon or cord through a hem or stitched piping/casing. The holes are for thread/cord and the slots are for ribbon. Similar to this one from the mid-17th Century:

Bodkin Ribbon Threader.jpg

OP
OP
Norwichnut

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UNBELIEVABLE..thank you SO MUCH

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
[FONT=DDG_ProximaNova, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_0, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_1, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_2, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_3, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_4, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_5, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_6, Proxima Nova, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Segoe UI, Nimbus Sans L, Liberation Sans, Open Sans, FreeSans, Arial, sans-serif]Don't do the banner vote very much but this is an exception!
Banner vote in!

g
[/FONT]

OP
OP
Norwichnut

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks!!!

OP
OP
Norwichnut

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes it would. Its crazy how times have changed, kids had to put in work at a young age..girls would learn to sow even younger than 10....

OP
OP
Norwichnut

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted that findagrave link in the first post, from what i researched thier name was originally piggin, and the spelling had changed over the yrs..in emails to the N.L historical society the nice lady said she will try to get the complete history of the name and changes and possibly where she lived , I never understood why they changed the spelling and pronunciation so much over the centuries, but was told its common when going back this far

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread