A very interesting two hour hunt. 1700s, 1800s and 1900!

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A very interesting two hour hunt. 1700's, 1800's and 1900!

I've been doing well at this seaside field. Every time I come here, I sniff something out. This hunt had some fun moments. If people were close by, they probably would have heard me talking to myself. :laughing7:

The day started off with this pewter cross. It has a cool little shape to it.

I was in the mood for digging... The field was wet and muddy in spots, but you can't let that stop you.

I hit this thick copper coin and it wasn't too deep. Upon seeing it, the thickness threw me off, as did the edge loss. It looked almost octagonal. I thought it was a token. After I cleaned it up, Relic Medic and one of the guys on my instagram account helped with the ID. Thanks, Relic!

It is a 1790's French 2 decimes, counterstamped with the word "UN". All that remains is the UN.... and a very faint left facing bust on the other side.

I then had a crazy moment. I hit a signal in the low 70's on the Deus. About 6" down or so, I pop out a V nickel from the 40's. Cool, I says.... I put the plug back in, make it look pretty and I stand up and give it a sweep one last time. Another signal. This time in the high eighties. I must have missed a penny, I thought to myself. Seeing as it could have been a 30's or 40's penny, or possibly a silver dime... I reopened the plug. There at the bottom, I could see an edge. It was literally a WTF moment when an 1806 George III popped out. That's the weirdest coin spill ever. ;)

1806 Georgius III

This one was also a nice surprise. I thought it was going to be a deep crown cap, as I had just dug two in a row. Ahhhh, I love silver.

1900 25 Cents

After a rinse...

Also, a wild sailboat appeared...

And a silver toe/kids ring

A cool little button...

Happy hunting.

Upvote 19

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Hunt G.
Congrats on the Vicky Quarter, a VERY tough find. I don't think most people realize just how tough...I should add up the total mintage from all years...it's a small number.

The cross is a pretty cool find.

I doubt it was an actual "spill" but a super rare coincidence of two coin drops in the exact same spot.

If that site has been hit for trity years, and you're still finding stuff, it must have been (and still is) a GREAT site.

PS, was talking to Dan K. the other day. He said you were doing well with the Deus on the old "pounded" sites. I may have to get me one yet, been debating it for some time, but I still feel I am quite proficient at pulling the goods out of the iron pretty well with my current machine.?

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh Man! That's a great day of finds, a little bit of everything , thanks for posting it's fun to see - WTG.. and continue having HH!

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd give the Deus a whirl, Rick. After a small learning curve, and a bit of help from me and others, you will be rocking it. I love it, personally...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread