A very mean Rooster and a little Girl

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My chickens get fresh water three times a day (real pain in the winter), cracked-corn and scratch grain, free run for a portion of most days, dry bedding, air-circulation in the summer and snug coops in the winter.

Better than some of the puppy-mills and outdoor kennels I have seen for "pets".

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abusing an animal (or a kid) doesn't teach them anything, except to fear and hate you. Try picking on someone your own size and see how it feels for YOU to be "taught" a lesson for YOUR actions.

I've spent most of my life kicking the crap out of jerks who abuse animals. Doesn't teach them anything, but it sure makes me feel good! LOL!

Wow Tim...really!? "Spent most of your life kicking the crap out of jerks who abuse animals"....and YOU'RE the one who harshly criticized me for "kicking the crap" out of the dude I caught stealing my detector...so it's ok for you to kick the crap out of people but no one else can? Get over yourself, get off that soapbox and if you don't like what's posted simply move on. Ddf

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would like to say that an un-educated person usually doesn't program CNC machines much less fix them. nor does he get into Avionics in the Air Force much less travel to over 13 countries....oh wait, I am being stereotyped because I come from Arkansas. Not the first time. I built a two story home, did it all, everything from foundation to the roofing, electrical and plumbing. Yes, had a brain aneurysm and numerous strokes but still kicking and active. I can also say that I went to school in Europe and Asia, even to a school just south of Chicago. I was one of those guys most hated, never took a book home except to read the chapter ahead. Yep, National Honor Society as well. I choose to come back to my roots and live to get away from what I saw in the big cities. My kids went to one school and knew everyone in the school. My understanding of the word ignorance means to not know something, everyone is ignorant of something. The word stupid implies making very poor judgement in spite of knowledge or thinking things out. The last time I checked, everyone is capable of being stupid at any given time, just some are more prone to do so on a regular basis. In basic training, we all learned what the word Assume actually stood for and that word will get you into a lot of trouble very quickly. I was also taught at an early age that a human life superseded any animal's life... hit the squirrel and live. When you turn food into a pet, it is no longer food. We were also taught to take care and respect both our food and our pets (many were part of our family.) Sorry, just had to insert this. Most of these threads are just to get people to laugh and even remember things from the past. DL

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
When I was a kid my Mom was Office Manager at a chicken hatchery. I got to do most jobs there. One was de-winging the baby chicks. Every chick got a wing removed at the joint by a hot wire (think your toaster). Another was de-beaking done a similar way. Cruel? Maybe but not doing it allowed the birds to fly or peck each other to death. Sexing was also bad. You picked up the chick and squeezed the,ah,contents into a coffee can and looked at it's bottom to see if it had nodules or not (think hemorrhoids). Roosters in one box, hens in another. Roosters went to become fryers and hens shipped off w/one rooster per 25 hens. This was hard on the birds & they sometimes died.
Defending yourself from harm by any animal is not cruelty. Beating a tied up dog is cruelty. Shooting a charging bear is not. Good luck.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You see it.

If the rooster was free enough to attack it had a better life than 97% of all roosters. :icon_thumright:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cute story. I grew up a a rural area where everyone raised animals to keep their families fed. Geese, chickens, pigs, goats etc, and they pretty much all terrorized us kids. Contrary to story books and the imagination of city folks, most farm animals are neither sweet smelling nor sweet in nature.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Our rooster is pecking at one of our egg layers head and comb now and we aren't sure what to do with him. He's a cool bird and does fine with people and just started doing this. We've had him for three years or so and he's always gotten along well.
We have the hen separated until she heals but they are little dinosaurs and no one wants a rooster around these parts. Anyone have this happen before?
He's was a rescue and is more of a pet and we hate to lose him.

I read it has to do with mating so I'm hoping it will pass.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
when a chicken see blood, they kinda go nuts and attack, pecking at the spot/spots. they can turn on another in a heartbeat and will eat eggs as well. nature is very cruel, everything that breathes eats something else, even if it is only something green. What a lot of city people don't seem to understand, very few things are killed outright and most are eaten while still very much alive. Even that beautiful Doe is capable of killing and they do get into some very vicious fights. Heck, there are even plants that eat other critters.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve had dozens of chickens for 20 years, I’ve no need for a rooster ever. Bad experience with all of ‘em!

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep we probably won't get another in the future. The hens do great on their own and it seems more peaceful for them.
A friend of ours works at a bird rescue in Denver so she got us some medicine that also repels the rooster. Seems to be good to go now.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Just like Dirtlooter stated, when a rooster or hen sees blood when pecking another chicken, they kinda go nuts. When this occurs, there is usually not much you can do with the perpetrator except kill them mercifully and cook them for supper. I have seen folks try all sorts of tricks to stop the chicken on chicken attacks but most of these solutions were only temporary. Some folks put tape on the bottom of one foot or on the top of their' heads to give them something to worry about and otherwise occupy their time, so they won't think about pecking another chicken. Some put blinders on them, sort of like mule blinders but these are actually a hood that only restricts their side vision and seems to distract them from nefarious activities. While these sometimes work, they usually only work temporarily and the offenders usually have to be disposed of. If you think a cats reaction to putting tape on it's paw pad is funny, then you will really enjoy watching a chicken with tape on the bottom of it's foot! Yes, it is hard to get it to stay, so you might have to run a string around the tape and between the chicken's toes/claws to get it to stay longer but they usually get it off.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if it was my job to collect eggs from the hen house, and I got attacked by a rooster everytime I tried to collect those eggs,, I think I would have to defend myself.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took a lot of courage for you to abuse that tiny bird with a stick. What's really amazing is that you're actually proud to tell your animal abuse story here.

I resent that you have taken it upon yourself to pass judgement on a small child who defended himself from an ill-tempered rooster. At the time of this alleged animal abuse, I was no more than 8 years old. With careful reading of my original post, you will note that I used the stick to keep the rooster from hurting me. I didn't kill the bird although I'm almost certain that he did, at some point, become Sunday dinner.

When you grow up in a rural community, you learn where food comes from and, if you help harvest that food, you know what is necessary to feed your family. I also hunt and fish and consume what I harvest (or, in terms you might understand, heartlessly murder). I am cruel to neither animals nor persons and find those reprehensible who are (including those who bear false witness toward others).

I have traditionally ignored such accusations, however, I am no longer willing to do so. Your accusation of animal abuse is simply not true and I think you deserve censure for making baseless comments absent any understanding of the context of the story. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I was finished with my comments but that was before I read some more of the posts in the thread. That has precipitated a few more observations.

You say in one of your posts, "I come here to read about metal detecting finds, not about some uneducated person (or his uneducated kid) abusing animals." Let me help you with that accusation.

My parents were not uneducated unless you mean that they did not receive a college degree. They had meaningful jobs and provided well for our family. They taught me the value of being well educated both academically and practically. They provided me with a strong religious upbringing that included the lesson to "love your neighbor as you love yourself". They taught me to be a good steward of the natural resources we have at our access and to not waste anything. They made sure that I had every opportunity for a good education including a degree in Industrial Arts Education. I'd suggest that neither my parents or I are, to use your ill-founded word, uneducated.

You further state, "I've spent most of my life kicking the crap out of jerks who abuse animals. Doesn't teach them anything, but it sure makes me feel good!" How on this good green Earth does that do anything but counter your own argument regarding abuse? My actions against a now long-dead, but tasty, rooster were a defense. Your actions of "kicking the crap out of jerks" to make you feel good demonstrates a lack of understanding of the idea of what is means to be cruel.

Please go back to reading about metal detecting and stop espousing your social or political views in this venue. I'm certain that there are forums in which you can do that with wild abandon.

Now, go out and find some treasure.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you come here to read about metal detecting finds...try "Today's Finds". It's been a long time since I've seen a "find" posted under "General Discussion".

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few months ago, I posted a picture of a deer killed by a coyote. FreeBirdTim chewed me out for posting it. I apologized for it and said I wouldn;t post any more photos like that. Now I'm not to sure I should have apologized. I think I'll go out and chop the head off of one of my chickens and post a video of it flopping around.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
A few months ago, I posted a picture of a deer killed by a coyote. FreeBirdTim chewed me out for posting it. I apologized for it and said I wouldn;t post any more photos like that. Now I'm not to sure I should have apologized. I think I'll go out and chop the head off of one of my chickens and post a video of it flopping around.
Please don’t! I raise and eat chickens and their brood. What you are doing is not it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread