ACE 250 has suddenly died

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
And the weird part of the story is, I wasn't actually using it out on the field or anything. I just decided out of nowhere to turn it on in my room and bench test it. I disc out the dollar and 1/2 dollar notches and the next thing I know, it is not picking up anything. And that is the way it has been for the past two days. It will turn on normally and even go through the factory reset beeps if I hold the power button down, but it simply refuses to pick ring off on anything. I checked and replaced batteries, played around with the cord to see if something was loose, but nothing. After a few little mods, which did not require any messing around wth the electronics or anything inside, I'm 100% certain it is not out of warranty. I'm looking at having it sent back to the factory. Sucks because the weather is nice out here for the first time in weeks. Any advice here? Any guess as to how much they will charge?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's still under warranty it will only cost your shipping one way. Look on the Garrett web site and it has shiping instructions for warranty repairs.I left my ACE in the car overnight in freezing weather and it wouldn't pick up anything for about 20 minutes and just suddenly started working. The only thing I can figure is that the batteries had to thaw out before it would work? I've kept it inside and it has worked ever since. Monty

2 many Hobbies

Mar 8, 2007
Westchester New York
Detector(s) used
Etrac, AT pro,Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 350, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If its still under warranty I get it repaired.I sent my detector to Garrett for repair and i got it back a week later.They are pretty fast.Go to the Garrett site you have to fill out a work sheet print it and mail it with your detector.Good luck

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
I'm hoping they don't charge me an arm and leg for it, as I'm sure they will tell me it's out of warranty. I drilled a couple of holes for some LED's in the panel hood and opened it up once to disconnect the speaker. If they charge me anything over$80-90, I'm simply going to ask them to tell me which part is defective, so I can keep the good part. I'll just buy a new unit and keep the spare as a backup part. I kid you guys not, it was working perfectly until the moment I disc'd out the dollar and 1/2 dollar notches and that was it, it breathed its last breath. Trust me guys, this has nothing to do with the speakers or headphones. Imagine your 250 on, in all metal mode with sens set at4, 5, 6 or 7, even 8 and no matter what you put under the coil, you never see a notch pointing at anything. All you see is the lonely row of notches, but none lighting up on the top row. No sounds either. I've tried everything I could think of but this 250 has lost its mojo big time.

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
I really do not know anything about electronics, but I know the manual specifically said ..
"Do not turn the machine on inside" - something to do with all the electronics around. Could it have fried because it was too close to the TV or other electronics stuff?

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Did it say that? I don't have the manual here at work with me. If the 250 can fry by being turned on indoors, than mine had good reason to. I have all kinds of things on in my studio. Otherwise, I thought it would only be an interference issue. Anyhow, I sent it out to the factory yesterday. I'm praying they are easy on my wallet.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Stacylee926 said:
I really do not know anything about electronics, but I know the manual specifically said ..
"Do not turn the machine on inside" - something to do with all the electronics around. Could it have fried because it was too close to the TV or other electronics stuff?

na......I'm pretty sure that didn't do it. electrical interference can cause it to act erratically, but wont really fry it. Garrett ought to take pretty good care of you. they stand behind their products. let us know how this all turns out.

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
I'll keep you guys posted. I should hear back from them sometime next week.

fd3615

Jan 25, 2007
California - Solano County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 Probe
good luck... im pretty sure they wont like that you drilled holes in it, and did electrical work on it..

I hope they stand behind there product.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason I missed the part whee you did some alterations on it yourself. You probably voided your warranty. M :'( nty

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
I gave them a call today and they tell me they sent it out a couple of days ago. They said the coil went out and the warranty covered the repair. I'll update you guys when it arrives.

D

dons

That is awesome. I had to mark this thread so I could see how it turned out. I just bought an ACE and it's great to see that they will stand by them.

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
drver, that is definately a concern, as this will either be a new coil or one that has been repaired. They mentioned they also recalibrated the detector, which I hope gets pennies back where they belong, as the non zinc pennies began to start lighting up under the dime notch. So far it has been a friendly and polite experience with them. The rep lady that I spoke to seemed to have put quite a few hours into the 250 herself. I'll keep you guys updated on this after it arrives.

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Ricardo_NY1 thanks I’m watching real close, man I got my Ace just before you got your’s. I did buy the larger coil a couple months ago and it seemed to act and sound the same as the stock one. I did, however, have to relearn to pinpoing and allot deeper.

Best of luck and HH when you get it back.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. I'm glad to hear they still honored your warranty. Most wouldn't, so that's a plus for Garrett. Good to hear you will be back in business real soon. M :D nty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread