Shorty Buckshot
Jr. Member
- Joined
- Aug 19, 2012
- Messages
- 48
- Reaction score
- 164
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Northeast Indiana
- Detector(s) used
- Equinox 600
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
- #1
Thread Owner
I am pretty new to detecting and have an ACE 250...Watched the videos on youtube and read alot about the 250...been doing a few parks, schools and such... nothing but clad and junk so far...Today I was in the yard basically practicing using the pinpointer on the 250....At first I thought it was just me but not so sure now....I am running in jewelry mode with sensitivity at 4 bars...all coins in play with iron/foil, tabs discrimed out....
So I get a signal (usually in penny or dime range) and use the pinpointer...I narrow down the field first by swinging side to side...once I get that where it needs to be, I start pulling the coil back...from limited experience and what I have seen and read, once the signal disappears the target is normally right underneath the front innner coil just at the small t section where it attaches to the outer coil....what I have noticed multiple times is that as I pull the coil back toward me the signal fades but is still audible...the bars have now disappeared from the display but I can still faintly hear the signal, what I call a "long signal"....by the time the audible signal is completely gone, the coil has been pulled back at least twice its length....most times I dig there and find nothing.....
My question is....should I dig at the point where the bars fade from the display or maybe I am doing something wrong? As I said...if I dig where the audible signal completely stops I don't find the target and end up with a crater instead of a hole trying to find the target....maybe its just the nature of the beast?
Any help, suggestions or pointers would be much appreciated...Shorty
So I get a signal (usually in penny or dime range) and use the pinpointer...I narrow down the field first by swinging side to side...once I get that where it needs to be, I start pulling the coil back...from limited experience and what I have seen and read, once the signal disappears the target is normally right underneath the front innner coil just at the small t section where it attaches to the outer coil....what I have noticed multiple times is that as I pull the coil back toward me the signal fades but is still audible...the bars have now disappeared from the display but I can still faintly hear the signal, what I call a "long signal"....by the time the audible signal is completely gone, the coil has been pulled back at least twice its length....most times I dig there and find nothing.....
My question is....should I dig at the point where the bars fade from the display or maybe I am doing something wrong? As I said...if I dig where the audible signal completely stops I don't find the target and end up with a crater instead of a hole trying to find the target....maybe its just the nature of the beast?
Any help, suggestions or pointers would be much appreciated...Shorty
Once you get your target, I normally check for the target by moving 90 degrees, keeping a visual on the spot and sweep again. once the target area is clear, then you hit the pin pointer on the machine. The steady beep shows that you are locked on a particular target. The bars show how close to center of the coil it is. Once it is loud and you see the bars maximize, note the exact spot and dig like a demon 








