Ace250 or the prizm3 confused

riverite

Sep 15, 2008
campbell river bc
Detector(s) used
ace250 with sniper coil
Its time for a new MD started reading up ,i am now confused , i was gonna settle a for prizm 3 or 4 now i see there seems more people using the ace 250 with good results , is it the price or is the ace better value for the dollar,has anyone tried the two ? ,i would like to hear the different opinions.is there a site showing a direct comparison of the two, gonna decide soon and hope i make a good choice and have no regrets ,i would rather pay a little more and not be sorry --- riverite

T

The.Boomer

Try the metal detector reviews by owners forum here at T-Net for your answers just read up on both detectors. It really depends on the type of hunting you plan to do and how much your willing to spend to start. Buying a $1000 machine before you get hooked on this sport is risky at best. But $200 is more reasonable. For coin shooting I like the Ace 250, it has a lot of the features of the bigger priced machines but at a lower price. But it also has its draw backs like it is really slow so it has lousy target seperation. Depth for any machine is really a measure of coil size so bigger coils mean greater depth, and of course soil type also measures into the equation on depth. Also ego and imagination play an even bigger part in actual depths. Don't worry about depth since the majority of good finds is in the top 4-6 inches of soil even the cheapest detectors tend to reach these depths now days. After depth the only real questions are, quality of construction and bells and whistles. The ace 250 has many bells and whistles but they are not always accurate, but then neither are the $1000 dollar machines. But the $1000 machines are probably a little more accurate than the aces. Thus the only real question left is quality of construction this is where most of the Higher dollar machines can really shine. At least here in this area of inquiry the manufacturers apparently recognized that the people who mostly buy their big expensive models are the true addicts whole use their machines day in and day out and thus, they the manufacturers had better make good quality machines that will hold up and last for at least a number of years. So that's my two bits. :icon_study:

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like my Ace 250, it was my step up from a pawn shop low end Bounty Hunter that I paid $40 for. My nephew who is 44 years old still uses my old Bounty Hunter and finds stuff with it. There are guys in my club that use the Prizm and find a few pieces that I miss working the same sites. When I can afford it, I'll probably get a Prizm, or something around that price, but for now my Ace 250 is getting it done for me. If you've got the bank to buy something more expensive, I'd probably go for it. I here they are a little harder to learn than the Ace, but once you get the hang of it they are great machines. Ace 250 is pretty much an install batteries and swing. It has settings for whatever you are looking for and you can weed out certain things, but it's a right out of the box detector.

Good luck and just go out and enjoy whatever you buy, this is a wicked fun hobby!
Ramapirate

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I think the ace is a good starter machine, simple controls, audible and visual IDs. I took my cousins son(age 11) out last Sunday, let him use my ace 250, he picked up on it quick, even got pretty good at pinpointing in just a few hours. I had him dig it all so he would hear the different tones and see the visual IDs and how they relate to different items. I used my vaquero, I've only used the Vaq a few hours now, but I'll tell ya the ace was getting about as many hits as I was. We were coin shooting at a old school field and not trying for any really deep stuff. I hear good things about the Tesoro silver umax as well, and its priced about the same as the ace 250.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions