Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was given a large container full of broken pottery years ago. It came out of Kentucky by the looks of it. It appears that there may be a whole pot or two in there. I have watched just a few ancient restoration videos on youtube. I see that several large pieces fit but am afraid to just start glueing it up as I might miss on the original shape. I have seen masking tape used also to hold together and in the correct shape before gluing.
Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?
I thought at some point I would post the pieces and document the restoration here. But want to gather all the knowledge I can before proceeding.
Thanks for any help and feel free to post away any ideas.

Upvote 0

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might message Monsterrack if he doesn’t see this. I’m sure that he’d have some helpful advice.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might message Monsterrack if he doesn’t see this. I’m sure that he’d have some helpful advice.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Good call Kantuck. I think there are probably several out there. Or maybe someone finds some links I have not seen. It will be fun to try. Speaking of fun got the boat hitched and heading out for some fresh fish.
Thanks for the reply.

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m gonna give you expert advice about glueing pottery.....#1, take a couple of pieces, glue em, don’t think about whole pots...when you’ve glued a few of those two sided ones, glue another piece on em, now you have threesomes, get the idea and now you have a plan ....Because you will be using Duco cement you don’t have to fear making a mistake...nothing will be glued that can’t be softened for an adjustment of curves and fit with Acetone.....I know what I’m talking about, I have thousands of hours of experience restoring Florida pottery..I’m also a commercial artis, can even help with aging and painting restored areas, if that’s the way you prefer to go. ....Get going you’ll be fine.. keep me posted in my PM and I’ll be willing to walk you through everything involved, ..Each pot is different and methods of making forms, strengthening open areas, and such sometimes requires different methods, I think I’ve run into all the problems you’re likely to encounter
DFFDC80A-E71F-430C-9732-868E353BC1FC.jpeg ..Nuff for now...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much. i never considered duco cement and you are right about the acetone. I have already placed several large pieces together and think I might have a whole one. It is worth the effort.
I will start a new thread when I pull it out and make room for the assemblage. Your help is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah and here is dinner for tomorrow night. I split the catch with my fishing buddy. I have a most excellent recipe for them.

IMG_7027.JPG

:hello:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice catch, you going to use mustard batter?

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Nice fish!I find the places where I have messed up are on the sides or towards the rim if I don't align the pieces correctly.

When I can I usually start getting the rim together and getting it back to what is usually a circle/oval shape. A little tray with sand can help stabilize pieces, just keep the sand away from the glue or it's messy. I've also used a balloon before to hold up small pieces of the base if it's really shattered.

If the pieces are big enough, and I know the pottery type well, I lay the pieces out like an open flower and then I use a spot of superglue and work fast. Wipe the edges with a bit of acetone to clean up any overflow.

If it's crumbly material or worn edges, you might need to use a thicker glue like duco. I generally avoid Elmer's white glue, but will occasionally use it if I need to fill in little pieces or cracks where the edge is worn.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch this video, will give you some ideas.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice fish!I find the places where I have messed up are on the sides or towards the rim if I don't align the pieces correctly.

When I can I usually start getting the rim together and getting it back to what is usually a circle/oval shape. A little tray with sand can help stabilize pieces, just keep the sand away from the glue or it's messy. I've also used a balloon before to hold up small pieces of the base if it's really shattered.

If the pieces are big enough, and I know the pottery type well, I lay the pieces out like an open flower and then I use a spot of superglue and work fast. Wipe the edges with a bit of acetone to clean up any overflow.

If it's crumbly material or worn edges, you might need to use a thicker glue like duco. I generally avoid Elmer's white glue, but will occasionally use it if I need to fill in little pieces or cracks where the edge is worn.

I like the idea of starting at the rim. That helps me a lot. Thank you

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok this pottery idea is a no go. There are parts of multiple pots in there but not enough rimes to even get started. I have matched a few pieces. Some interesting stuff for sure but not worth the effort.Even have some pieces of a large soap stone bowl. 20 lbs total. Looks like most of it is Tn pottery with some Ky pottery mixed in.At least now I know.

IMG_7044.JPG

IMG_7040.JPG

IMG_7037.JPG

IMG_7045.JPG

IMG_7042.JPG

IMG_7043.JPG

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I believe you’re right, you need at least 1/2, preferably 3/4 of a pot to stay motivated, stuff with designs helps with motivation, Then several nice pieces glued together makes a nice display piece...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread