After a half million pennies, a 1932!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Some time back, I stumbled across the opportunity to buy bags of coin about 80 miles from home. Some of my work and leisure activities take me to that area so it was worth the drive, in case you're wondering:laughing7:. I was buying quarters, dimes and nickels, looking for West Pointers and silver. Needless to say, there was almost always something worthwhile in each bag. The same bank also got penny bags by the dozen or more, and one day they jokingly wondered if I'd take them, too. I figured it couldn't hurt; there would certainly be wheats and maybe even Indians and old Canadians. I was right on all counts! I didn't realize, at the time, that the penny bags also had $4-7 in dimes, so I was guaranteed a profit on each one! Then I noticed that silver dimes weren't unusual in the penny bags. I was hooked. At 5000 coins per bag, chances were always good that something interesting would come up. I've probably done a hundred bags so far, and have about $1000 sitting in the queue. A while back, it dawned on me that what I wasn't finding were any 1932 or 33 wheats. I've gotten multiple VDB, many teen, twenty and thirty S and D, but no 32-33. The 32 is the rarest Philadelphia wheat, at just over 9 million struck, and 33 is a close second. Finally, this week, after at least a half a million pennies, I got the '32. I have one from when I was a kid, and found a couple with the detector, but this is a quiet keeper!

Attachments

• 32wheat.jpg
    32wheat.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 10

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a numbers game and I would say that you won, Congrats!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your great find!! Bout time huh?

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Bravo. I've searched more pennies than you, and have yet to find a 1932. I have one 1932D, but no 1932. I have no 1931D or S either, and no 1933 or 1933D. That whole era is hard to find. SO congrats. Great find.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting